Pub names.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Round here we have dozens of Packhorse Inns; these were the pre-turnpike road equivalents of motorway services. Goods were carried everywhere in the country by packhorse and the trains and their drivers needed places to stop for the night. Did you know that Holloway is so called because of the huge V shaped gulley worn in the ground by millions of packhorses bringing all the goods in and out of London? These V grooves are all over the countryside in Lancs and Yorks and are called Hollow Ways. Another clue is any settlement you see on the map called Royd, which meant stopping place. They always have secure fields around them for the ponies.

Keith Oates

Janner
Slightly OT but what is most common pub name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Keith Oates said:
Slightly OT but what is most common pub name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a list of the most common names on http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/Britain/weird.htm, along with some weird ones.
In the list of weird names is the 'Spinner & Bergamot' (named after two horses) near Warrington. In the 1990s, the landlord decided to fence the car park and put on a height gauge to stop HGVs from parking there. Contractors were engaged and done a good job of it apart from one very small detail. They could not get their van out of the car park after they had finished the job because of the height gauge!

Near Lutterworth, Leicestershire, there used to be a pub named The Flying Saucer.

ani_gray01.gif

simonali

Guru
There's a Pineapple in Dorney (Bucks or Berks) who regard themselves as a bit of a 'sandwich pub'. They have a comprehensive menu of bread based snacks, I believe.

This might have something to do with why the pub is named so:

http://www.dorneycourt.co.uk/plant.html

One pub name that I never really used to take much notice of was the Red Shoot in the New Forest, until one day I actually looked at the sign, which depicts a red deer and a rifle! Looked at it in a new light after that. Still go in there, though, as they do nice steaks!

A few of the pubs/bars on/near the beach are preceded by 'Happy'! Something to do with the local vatiety of grass, but I suppose it is an important ingredient in making the pub atmosphere 'happy'!
In fact, I had shared a 'happy' pizza the other night and, er, lost 24 hours somewhere! :sad::sad: B)

"Gribble Inn" in Oving near Chichester - fine pub with good beer brewed on site and a lively folk club.

Named after Rose Gribble whose family ownedthe cottage prior to it becoming a pub.

God beers, good food, and excellent cycling area to boot

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Would that be the Pineapple in Marple..... only ever been in once - a dive !

Fancy working on the Brickworks - no easy commute from Glossop ! Love the climb of the Brickworks, one of my favourites..

papercorn2000

There's a Black Boy in Caernarfon (North Wales).

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Would that be the Pineapple in Marple..... only ever been in once - a dive !

No, Stalybridge.

The climb is a good one, makes a good descent too :eek:.

I used to drive there :ohmy:. I did it on bike a few times but coming over Chunal and through Hayfield and Disley past the Hilton is a bit lumpy eh?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chunal is a good steady 1 in 10 - we used to do our club hill climb on it, followed by that steep little descent to Hayfield - bet that commute gets you fit...bit dicey in poor weather.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I only rode it a few times and don't work there anymore, it would certainly have got me fit though. I had to drive as I took the dog with me.

It was dicey in bad weather. A couple of times I abandoned the car and walked a couple of miles across fields to work.

Top Bottom