Pub names.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Hey Cunobelin - would the Black Boy pub you mention be in Fishbourne?

I'm from Chichester - Tne Gribble is great

My favourite name (and a great country pub) is The Fox Goes Free.

As you say great cycling territory - in fact you can ride (most of) the world championship route from 1982 pretending to be Sean Kelly and then cruise down the hill for a pint in the Fox goes free.

Perfection

Arch

Married to Night Train
There are, apparently, many pubs called "The Marquis of Granby", because that gentleman used to help soldiers retiring from his regiment to set up pubs as a second career.

Tetedelacourse

The Gladyer Inn is just up the road from where I live. (for those dahn sarf, sounds like tadger, or badger, or Radger!).

Nice N Sleazy in Glasgow, who sell Buckfast by the wine glass.

The Hawes Inn from my hometown is commonly referred to as "The Dugs". I'd expect any Scotsman to know why.

ChrisKH

Guru
The Lobster Smack on Canvey whilst not the best pub in the world deserves a mention. Previously called "The Smack Inn" it was mentioned in Charles Dickens 'Great Expectations'. By the look of the current users its name should probably be changed back.

walker

there used to be a pub uin greenwich called the frog and radiator. eh?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's a Black Buoy in Wivenhoe, Essex beside the Colne river.
I have a Marquis of Granby (and a Marquise of Lorne, for that matter) about 10 minutes walk away.

Stevenage Town Centre used to have an 'Edward the Confessor' universally known as 'Ted the Grass'. And a right dive it was too.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Especially for Arch - The Country Elephant, in Painswick, Gloucestershire.
So named, because the owner used to own a pub called The Elephant, in a big town, so when they moved to Painswick (large village) the name seemed obvious. ;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Also for Arch, there is The Elephant Inn in Finchley, It used to be called the Moss Hall Tavern, it's original name. it was renamed by Fuller's brewery when it started to sell Thai food.

02GF74

Über Member
there is a "the pineapple" between ameersham and little amersham, and a black boy in High Wycombe - used to be my local some years back.

IMPO best pub name, before wetherspons or whoever it was that started the comedy pub name trend, was the frog and bucket.

Top Bottom