Public bike repair facilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Not exactly public but this outfit in Sheffield have a 'bike kitchen' where you can take your bike and get expert help;
https://recyclebikes.co.uk/what-we-do/bike-kitchen/
Nice helpful people. I bought a bike from them on my recent visit.
I was aware of them, but haven't got myself there yet (I live a ways outside Sheff). But since you reminded me to revisit their site :thanks:, I spotted this talk coming up in which Ian Walker discusses breaking the world record for cycling across Europe from top to bottom. Tickets bought!

BTW, what bike did you get?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
BTW, what bike did you get?
I bought something a bit unusual, a Bike Friday Tikit.
I was looking for a folder and saw this on their site for £325. Considering they are over £1000 new I thought it was a good buy. The previous owner had tricked it out a bit with discs, hope headset, crane creek stem, dynamo, and 105 hollowtech chain set. Would have preferred derailleurs but the Alfine 8 is good and even goes up Sheffield hills. I'll post a pic when I find it. Rides quite well.

JPBoothy

Veteran
We’ve got them at just about every station on my line (Ayrshire-Glasgow) and my employer (in Glasgow) also has them in the bike storage units.

I do get a bit saddened when I see the ones at the stations vandalised (usually the pumps suffer), but they do seem to get repaired.
Well, erm, I have a confession here :blush:

I once managed to snap the thumb lock thingy on a public track pump in Parkgate on the Wirral (too strong for my own good, or just ham-fisted?) and, try as I might to get through to the right person in the Council to get it fixed. I just got passed around and nobody seemed interested/bothered. I had nightmares about some poor exhausted cyclist being elated to find a pump after having pushed their bike for miles and then suddenly bursting into tears whilst looking at the broken pump :sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@IaninSheffield here is a pic;

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's true, it is a bit of a struggle.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I bought something a bit unusual, a Bike Friday Tikit.
I was looking for a folder and saw this on their site for £325. Considering they are over £1000 new I thought it was a good buy. The previous owner had tricked it out a bit with discs, hope headset, crane creek stem, dynamo, and 105 hollowtech chain set. Would have preferred derailleurs but the Alfine 8 is good and even goes up Sheffield hills. I'll post a pic when I find it. Rides quite well.
Now *that's* what I call a bargain! It's a beaut. Folding pedals too. Congratulations on spotting it.

Top Bottom