Public Service Announcement: Landline not working...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's a bit of a jump from "malicious calls" to "attacked by Russian Hackers" isn't it? Where's the connection? (if you'll excuse the telephone related pun).

a.twiddler

Veteran
Anyone still using a landline deserves all that's coming to them. :okay:

Maybe they do, but what's the betting that the 2025 deadline for ending voice calls via landline will be extended due to sheer numbers (probably of the elderly demographic due to our ageing population) who have made no alternative arrangements.

Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
Maybe they do, but what's the betting that the 2025 deadline for ending voice calls via landline will be extended due to sheer numbers (probably of the elderly demographic due to our ageing population) who have made no alternative arrangements.

Yeah, inevitable if the truth be told.

My comment was more tongue in cheek as opposed to any real belief.

presta

Guru
I lost my broadband for 14 hours over the weekend, then realised it stopped working when I tried copying a load of files onto Onedrive.

D

Deleted member 26715

... if so that's probably because you're part of the 5% of the BT network that's being attacked by Russian hackers.

Apparently BT are working to block said interlopers but who knows how long that'll take..

This is not the first communication provider to be attacked/taken down, there have been at least 5 others that I know of & several more who have 'fended' off the attack.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or the argument as to who is responsible to provide the battery backup system & how long it has to be supported.

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran

If they are going to do tat then first, they should make a hell of a lot more sure they announce it well enough that everbody will know, and second, they need to vastly improve the cellular network.

There is NO chance I will be getting rid of my landline in the foreseeable future, and I can't honestly see how very many people who don't live on their own can do so.

Currently, where I live, which is in a reasonable sized village in a prosperous and well populated area, mobile reception is poor enough that I really can't use my mobile for voice calls without using voice over IP - which means it is really using my landline.

But even if they improve that reception to the point where I could do so, I would still want the landline for broadband. If you are trying to use cellular data for that, it will be much more restricted (few mobile contracts provide unlimited data, many landline broadband contracts do), probably slower until 5G is available everywhere, and what happens if not everyone in the house has a mobile phone, and the one who does wants to go out with it?

Alex321

Veteran
OK, the reason I said "they should make a hell of a lot more sure they announce it well enough that everbody will know" is that I had no idea this was happening, and I am reasonably well educated and informed about technology.

Having now looked it up, I realise that saying "ending voice calls via landline" is rather misleading. You just won't be using PSTN any more, and may have to change your actual phone. It will still (in most cases) be using the landline, but it will be a broadband-only landline, and calls will be made using VOIP.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic

That's not the plan. The same wires will carry the calls, it's just that it will be IP based and not the circuit switched audio we have used for over a century. Your telephone provider will supply suitable equipment, probably free if you renew a service contract.

Edit: cross posted with @Alex321

Top Bottom