Public Service Announcement: Landline not working...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
No it's not, for a traditional analogue landline to work there has to be a pair of physical wires coming from the exchange to the premises for each number in service (not strictly true for ISDN but very few if any houses will have ISDN now). Once you have fibre then your 'fixed' phone will become digital & delivered over VoIP, which means if your provider will allow it you can sign onto your account with your mobile, you could also unplug your phone & plug it into your neighbour's router & get your calls, you could even take it on holiday & plug it in there. But this is NOT a landline.
I disagree. It IS a landline. Maybe not a "traditional" landline, but it is a physical line which comes into your premises and that means it is a landline.

The term "landline" is used to distinguish a connection using a physical line of any sort from one connecting over a cellular/mobile syatem.

And others appear to agree with me:
https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/d...ne is a telephone,the case with mobile phones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landline

Alex321

Veteran
It's a 4G router provided by a mobile phone company. Has nothing to do with fibre which isn't available in this street.

Ok. In that case, you absolutely have no need for a land line.

Just out of interest, does your home router connect directly to that, or do you have to use your mobile phone as a hotspot?

geocycle

Legendary Member
I thought the 2025 deadline had been extended? I moved to full fibre earlier this year and wanted to go to fully VOIP but BT dissuaded me because of all the problems they were having. Lack of backup in power cuts was one. The mobile reception in our house is very poor so we still need a landline. When I upgrade my phone it will be wifi calling enabled though.

tyred

Legendary Member
Ok. In that case, you absolutely have no need for a land line.

Just out of interest, does your home router connect directly to that, or do you have to use your mobile phone as a hotspot?

It's a separate box from my mobile. One of these.

download.jpeg

Chislenko

Veteran
I thought the 2025 deadline had been extended? I moved to full fibre earlier this year and wanted to go to fully VOIP but BT dissuaded me because of all the problems they were having. Lack of backup in power cuts was one. The mobile reception in our house is very poor so we still need a landline. When I upgrade my phone it will be wifi calling enabled though.

The last part of your post is a real problem for us. If I want to make a call on my mobile you will find me out in the back garden as there is no coverage in our house. (The village is generally bad for any mobile reception)

Some years back a chap came to fit smart meters, turned around and left as apparently they work on mobile signal and he couldn't get meters to connect.

D

Deleted member 26715

I disagree. It IS a landline. Maybe not a "traditional" landline, but it is a physical line which comes into your premises and that means it is a landline.

The term "landline" is used to distinguish a connection using a physical line of any sort from one connecting over a cellular/mobile syatem.

And others appear to agree with me:
https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/landline#:~:text=A landline is a telephone,the case with mobile phones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landline

I'm sorry that you are not willing to be educated on this issue, you are clearly an educated person, but even you have to admit you are wrong occasionally, so I'll leave it there .

D

Deleted member 26715

That was BT just being BT, VoIP has been around for a long time now, the issue that BT & many of the other big companies have is that your account is tied to your phone number, instead of your phone number being tied to your account, it's subtle difference but their billing systems can't handle it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm sorry that you are not willing to be educated on this issue, you are clearly an educated person, but even you have to admit you are wrong occasionally, so I'll leave it there .

I'm confused too. My router is still physically plugged into the telephone socket coming into the house even although I now have a digital phone which connects to it so surely there is still a line coming into the house?

Gwylan

Veteran
Landlines are on a par to Christmas cards :laugh:

Bit rough. You opposed to Christmas or communicating with people who you might consider friends and relatives?

The paradox of you posting here is just that.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm confused too. My router is still physically plugged into the telephone socket coming into the house even although I now have a digital phone which connects to it so surely there is still a line coming into the house?

no a 4G (or 5G) router has its own data only Sim in it, so its effectively a mobile phone acting as a router. A sort of permanent mobile hotspot but one you can connect wired or wirelessly into your other devices.

if your street doesn't have fibre, but you have a decent mobile signal strength, you get a much quicker internet connection with a 4G router than the traditional landline based ones.

D

Deleted member 26715

You may still have, if your exchange/provider is still using copper wires, but in the future & in places already which have fibre there will be a seperate fibre termination box. The standard currently is RJ11/45 to connect the router, but as the fibre rollout moves on these connectors may change TBH that bit is outside my area of work, but I would suspect eventually you will get fibre capable routers,

Alex321

Veteran

Sorry, but how exactly, am I wrong?

You seem to want to define landline as meaning only a copper-pair line, but that is not a reasonable definition, and the first could of online definitions I looked up agree that fibre to the premises is still a landline.

Whoi has decided that is not a landline? For that matter, is there any official body which decides such things?

You haven't given me any reason to change my view, just made a statement that only a "traditional analogue land line" is actually a landline.

Alex321

Veteran

Yes.

Phaeton thinks this is not a landline though if it is a fibre line coming into the house, rather than an old-fsahioned copper pair line.

I don't know why he thinks that, as he hasn't explained it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry, but how exactly, am I wrong?

There is a sim card in the wireless route so not a wire, copper fibre or otherwise in sight.

you grasped it on #32, but the comment applies to #31 where you were bombastically insisting there was a wire going into @tyred's abode.

Top Bottom