Public Service Announcement: Landline not working...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
No physical line coming into your house at all? Your internet is all via your mobile phone or other cellular device?

Yes, I use wireless Internet. It's more than adequate for me to work from home and as I am in a new build apartment I am not paying to have a phone line installed.

D

Deleted member 26715

No physical line coming into your house at all? Your internet is all via your mobile phone or other cellular device?

No you will still have physically wires out in the sticks for a few years yet but those in New houses will have fibre straight into the house & no copper. If saturation is reached then a provider may bring fibre to your village

Alex321

Veteran
No you will still have physically wires out in the sticks for a few years yet but those in New houses will have fibre straight into the house & no copper. If saturation is reached then a provider may bring fibre to your village

We have fibre in the village, but not currently to the premises.. I have a 67Mb broadband connection (20Mb upload). But even if and when it is changed to fibre to the premises, that is still a landline.

Chislenko

Veteran
Maybe they do, but what's the betting that the 2025 deadline for ending voice calls via landline will be extended due to sheer numbers (probably of the elderly demographic due to our ageing population) who have made no alternative arrangements.

I had no idea about that deadline. I presume a really important announcement like that was omitted from the news to make space for a story about a "celebrity" or a royal.

Reactions: C R

a.twiddler

Veteran
I only hope that this has been properly thought through. At present you can still make a phone call even if your power goes off with a traditional phone. Supposedly the difference for most people will be that their phone is plugged into their router rather than into the phone connection socket. So if the power goes off, the router goes off, no phone. If the power outage is more than very local, your nearest phone cell mast will be out too, so no mobile signal either.

Then there is the fact that far too much of the country still has poor network coverage. How minimal does the signal need to be before you can't get a reliable phone connection?

There will need to be a lot of public information and reassurance leading up to the cut off date that some, mostly in rural areas, won't be any worse off than they are now.

Reactions: C R

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I only hope that this has been properly thought through. At present you can still make a phone call even if your power goes off with a traditional phone. Supposedly the difference for most people will be that their phone is plugged into their router rather than into the phone connection socket. So if the power goes off, the router goes off, no phone. If the power outage is more than very local, your nearest phone cell mast will be out too, so no mobile signal either.

Then there is the fact that far too much of the country still has poor network coverage. How minimal does the signal need to be before you can't get a reliable phone connection?

There will need to be a lot of public information and reassurance leading up to the cut off date that some, mostly in rural areas, won't be any worse off than they are now.

That actually happened here during the storms last year. I had no landline or mobile for several hours. I think they need to give some serious thought to having contingencies for that happening again.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Yes, I use wireless Internet. It's more than adequate for me to work from home and as I am in a new build apartment I am not paying to have a phone line installed.
"Wireless internet" covers a multitude of possibilities, not necessarily anything to do with the mobile phone network(s).

Alex321

Veteran

What do you actually mean by saying you use "wireless internet"?

If you mean WiFi is provided in the apartment, then the complex probably has a (fibre) landline with broadband provision.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

If you mean WiFi is provided in the apartment, then the complex probably has a (fibre) landline with broadband provision.

You can run a small office off just a 4G/5G router. Its actually a better data connection than the many places that don't have fibre into them. s no. you don't need a landline provided you have a decent mobile signal on one of the networks.

I find a landline useful, as you know when its the mother in law calling.....:okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

We have fibre in the village, but not currently to the premises.. I have a 67Mb broadband connection (20Mb upload). But even if and when it is changed to fibre to the premises, that is still a landline.
No it's not, for a traditional analogue landline to work there has to be a pair of physical wires coming from the exchange to the premises for each number in service (not strictly true for ISDN but very few if any houses will have ISDN now). Once you have fibre then your 'fixed' phone will become digital & delivered over VoIP, which means if your provider will allow it you can sign onto your account with your mobile, you could also unplug your phone & plug it into your neighbour's router & get your calls, you could even take it on holiday & plug it in there. But this is NOT a landline.

There is also talk about getting rid of geographic numbers, so that currently you can call the local numbers only using 6 digits, (2 exchanges only have 5) for instance the local takeaway you may call 730428 but in the future you may have to call 01909730428 just like you do on a mobile.
Another those in the ivory tower have thought up is to do away with area codes if the above comes in, so your number might be 01909730428 & your neighbours number could be 01203730428

This is Ofcom you are talking about of course they have not thought it through properly, they have no idea of the real world, the fact that all burglar alarms with diallers, all lifts with diallers, all oxygen tanks with diallers, all dialysis machines with daillers, all assisted living units with diallers ALL have to be changed AND then battery provision provided.

They are doing their usual Pontius Pilate on it, they make a decree because their Overlords BT need to do this, then say industry can work it out, I think the woolly wording it that it is the providers responsibility to provide battery backup for a suitable time, with specifying what that is.

tyred

Legendary Member

It's a 4G router provided by a mobile phone company. Has nothing to do with fibre which isn't available in this street.

Top Bottom