pull up ... PULL UP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Going under the Heathrow flight-path on the M25 is the ONLY good thing about visiting my outlaws.I've just bought a new car with a panoramic roof and it's great for a bit of final-approachery.
Ha! Used to do that when the kids were small!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes ... @Fab Foodie was spot on with the time! Looks like 2 flights had to "go around". First was an Oman Air Airbus 330 from Muscat, then the BA 747 which FF saw, which was a flight from Moscow. Both landed again about 15 minutes later.
Excellent !
How did you find that? I took a look at the flight radar site and saw a 747 from DME but couldn't tell if it was a go-around. IIRC it was followed by a JAL flight.
What was the time?

Interesting stuff. :-)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What went over at 4 14 am ? Sounded like a propeller type plane . Blinking woke me up it did :gun:

Going under the Heathrow flight-path on the M25 is the ONLY good thing about visiting my outlaws.I've just bought a new car with a panoramic roof and it's great for a bit of final-approachery.

The ONLY thing? What about the Chalfont Viaduct??
attachment.php?s=cf2617f4b7aa1ed1ef5cea712d567017&attachmentid=212614&stc=1&d=1362237314.jpg

It was built long before the car really came along but it seems rather amazing how the M25 seems to just fit under it.
Coming the other way you get the "Give peas a chance" graffiti on it.
Oddly while finding this photo, I found that in pre-motorway days the arch was deeper (road was built up under the bridge) and there is a suggestion that someone once may have flown a plane under the bridge. So perhaps the pilot in the OP was thinking about giving it a go.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The ONLY thing? ....

I forgot to mention that the views from M3 J7 over Basingstoke are also a highlight.

Cheddar George

oober member
Left T5 Business parking tonight to join the traffic queue for the M25, spotted a large plane big and low, wound down the windows (I like the sound) and suddenly thought ... 'you don't see them approach from that angle very often' ... I then realised he wasn't going to make the runway and if lucky would have been lucky to land inside the perimeter fence. Maybe 100 ft above the ground, the pilot realised too and got on the gas! BA 747 (I think).
Scary stuff.

You just know that a flight attendant was straight on the PA,
"Unfortunately due to operational reasons we are unable to land at the present time please remain in your seats with your seatbelts securely fastened"
Which of course translates as,
"I haven't got a clue whats going on, just keep quiet and don't panic."

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I lived under the Heathrow flight path for 18 months before leaving in August, the worst airlines for coming in a bit too low were Virgin and Saudi.

I swear the wheels would not be far off the roof and the house would shake when they came in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was on a shuttle from Glasgow to London which came into land at Heathrow, but pulled up at the last second.

All the passengers looked at each other, and one or two were getting distressed.

Captain tells us over the PA: "Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen.
"There is what we think is an instrument malfunction, in that the instruments are telling us the landing gear is not down, but we think it is.
"We will fly past the control tower so they can have a look and tell us."

Which is what he did, straight and level, before presumably getting the thumbs up and coming in to land again.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I was on a shuttle from Glasgow to London which came into land at Heathrow, but pulled up at the last second.

All the passengers looked at each other, and one or two were getting distressed.

Captain tells us over the PA: "Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen.
"There is what we think is an instrument malfunction, in that the instruments are telling us the landing gear is not down, but we think it is.
"We will fly past the control tower so they can have a look and tell us."

Which is what he did, straight and level, before presumably getting the thumbs up and coming in to land again.
The plane's telling us we're all going to die but we'll give it a go anyway and see what happens...

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 3366442, member: 45"]Someone once flew a plane under the Clifton Suspension Bridge. His elation was short-lived though, as he crashed into the side of the gorge and killed himself.[/QUOTE]

I heard a Spitfire pilot talking on TV once, saying he was doing what he considered low flying over a reservoir, and suddenly realised a Lancaster bomber was passing UNDERNEATH him. It was a Dambuster practicing.

Top Bottom