pull up ... PULL UP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
Ever landed at City? Pilots have to be spot on with speed etc.

Had two go-arounds and as we banked for the third try, I somewhat startled the passenger next to me by saying: "If you miss this time, for God's sake land at Biggin as we're running out of fuel" :whistle:

Ever landed at City? Pilots have to be spot on with speed etc.

Had two go-arounds and as we banked for the third try, I somewhat startled the passenger next to me by saying: "If you miss this time, for God's sake land at Biggin as we're running out of fuel" :whistle:
Gibraltar air strip, I hesitate to use the word airport, is similar only you land in water if they 'miss'.

TVC

In the right hand seat of a Piper Warrior on the take off roll at Leicester Airport as a taildragger taxied (ambled) square across the runway about half way down. Full force on both pedals and turn round to try again, with a quick message to the tower expressing the condition of our trousers. The taildragger never even acknowledged his error.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Left T5 Business parking tonight to join the traffic queue for the M25, spotted a large plane big and low, wound down the windows (I like the sound) and suddenly thought ... 'you don't see them approach from that angle very often' ... I then realised he wasn't going to make the runway and if lucky would have been lucky to land inside the perimeter fence. Maybe 100 ft above the ground, the pilot realised too and got on the gas! BA 747 (I think).
Scary stuff.
Hopefully Mr Pilot Man (or Woman) will get a severe talking to and sent on a long re-education course

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went on a very cheap flight once to St Lucia, I asked for a window seat and was told by the steward.."there's only one window, and the Pilot, he got that."

charming.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I live near Heathrow and I direct the planes into land from my spare bedroom window . The plane you saw would have made the fence according to my eeeerrrrrrrrrr HD TV and errrrrrrrr garmin500 but I made him pull up just to give people on the M25 a bit of a show .
Just so you know , the airport will be closing soon as I'm going to bed :thumbsup:
Love it!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I was coming into London City early last January during those dreadful storms.
Just be glad you weren't on this one:

I've had a few roller-coaster rides into City, and rather enjoy them, but I don't think even I would have been having fun on board that one!

Ganymede

Veteran
Just be glad you weren't on this one:

I've had a few roller-coaster rides into City, and rather enjoy them, but I don't think even I would have been having fun on board that one!

Chuffing heck! That video brings me out in a cold sweat!

I think the weather was much worse on our day though - sheets of rain, and you could see white horses on the Thames (not exaggerating).

pplpilot

Guru
Go around are quite common some pilots braver than others when it comes to split second decision making.

High winds can be scary stuff.

some years ago I decided to take a few friends over to Cork on a Friday night out on the town, 4 of us in a piper PA28 Arrow very near our All Up Weight, what with overnight bags, enough fuel to get us to Cork with reserve etc, weather was superb when we left Wolverhampton at around 6:00pm, got to Cork there was a hell of a wind, coming from 010 with an approach into 35 which is closest into wind for cork, quick calculations put me just outside the crosswind limit for the PA28 (cant remember exact numbers) 6 missed approaches and the best part of an hour later a gap in the gusts finally put us on the ground, foolish at the time not to divert, there are a few airfields within 45 mins from cork, gottogetthereitis set in. Go arounds, missed approaches, near misses, lost, radio failure, flying light aircraft you get them all, but the one to really get you sweating is engine failures, I've had 3 full failures and 2 partial in <400hrs which statistically is quite high.

Ganymede

Veteran
Go around are quite common some pilots braver than others when it comes to split second decision making.

High winds can be scary stuff.

some years ago I decided to take a few friends over to Cork on a Friday night out on the town, 4 of us
Are the other 3 all still your friends? ;)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Yes ... @Fab Foodie was spot on with the time! Looks like 2 flights had to "go around". First was an Oman Air Airbus 330 from Muscat, then the BA 747 which FF saw, which was a flight from Moscow. Both landed again about 15 minutes later.

Three go-arounds, in fact (a Jet Airways Boeing 777 from Delhi behind the 747).

Here they are on the airport's own website:

http://myneighbourhood.bksv.com/lhr/home/webtrak/2530555
http://myneighbourhood.bksv.com/lhr/home/webtrak/2529914
http://myneighbourhood.bksv.com/lhr/home/webtrak/2530486

Top Bottom