PULSE RATE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Tracks don't have hills....TdF has hills. Get out on rides at least 50 miles long and put in as many hills as possible.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
Tracks don't have hills....TdF has hills. Get out on rides at least 50 miles long and put in as many hills as possible.

Exactly.
When i was 15, i was still doing hills, and going out every night after school. Id do about 10-15miles on my folder.
Id do 15miles a night when i got my Giant, then i upped that to 30miles a day with 2 club rides when i was off, and when i was at school 30miles a night after school with one long club ride.
When the evening TTs started, id be doing a 10mile TT one night a week aswell. I was 16/17 then though. But if i had started to ride more properly when i was your age, i would be much better now. But i didnt so im not. But im not slow, i enjoy riding and i do local TTs.
Get out in some hills. Get out riding more miles out on the road. The excersice bike wont be doing you as good as riding on the road.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

The track is only for me to sprint on. I do, do hills quite alot, doing 30 miles around my area is hard. Theirs no where to go in the southeast in the UK.
Apart from going around the same places.

The roads arn't overall that good aswell.

iLB

Hello there
CyclingSAM said:
The track is only for me to sprint on. I do, do hills quite alot, doing 30 miles around my area is hard. Theirs no where to go in the southeast in the UK.
Apart from going around the same places.

The roads arn't overall that good aswell.

there's plenty of cycling in Kent sam.
and you really can't be put off by the quality of the road surfaces, check out what they deal with in the Paris-Roubaix, all those cobbles etc...;)

Joe24

Exactly, road surfaces are road surfaces.
Ive done abit of cycling in Kent. It wasnt too bad. Depends what you class as bad road surfaces. Ive been down hills in Derbyshire, where its a single track road, grass in the middle of the road, horse crap and pot holes when you are riding, and you go down them doing mid/high 30mph.
I also went up a long hill in Derbyshire that had alot of that road chipping stuff on it. It was pretty deep in some places, and we went up it. It was fine until the tipper trucks and the road sweepers went down it, flicking up stones all over.
Dont worry about the quality of the roads. As long as they are tarmac then ride them.

iLB

Hello there
and it means you just improve your bike handling skill/ability , i haven't raced yet but i've spoken about 'bump' practice with a guy at my club where they deliberately hit each others rear wheel to simulate close racing situations - so the road surface is the least of your worries ;)

Joe24

ilovebikes said:
and it means you just improve your bike handling skill/ability , i haven't raced yet but i've spoken about 'bump' practice with a guy at my club where they deliberately hit each others rear wheel to simulate close racing situations - so the road surface is the least of your worries :ohmy:

Its good that is. I had someone keep on doing it behind me. I did know them, and i just sat there laughing at them. I then started to slowly pick the speed up and he soon moved back:laugh: I was helping him get home aswell!!
I had calld him a few names though as a joke;);):becool:

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Ramsgate,Margare,Broadstairs.. Ever been to any of them?

Going along on the sea front is good.

iLB

Hello there
CyclingSAM said:
Ramsgate,Margare,Broadstairs.. Ever been to any of them?

Going along on the sea front is good.

but those place are within like 3 miles of each other, try cycling to somewhere like canterbury and back, you'll find it easier than you think m8

montage

God Almighty
ilovebikes said:
but those place are within like 3 miles of each other, try cycling to somewhere like canterbury and back, you'll find it easier than you think m8

You just need to want it enough

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
CyclingSAM said:
Dont know my way :|

MAPS. Paper ones . Library. Learn to read them, understand them. Online ones - Googlemap, Bikehike, Streetmap etc etc etc etc ........ It has never been easier. Print them out - get out on the bike. Explore and get fit.

jay clock

Massive member
I am glad to hear you want to make it big, but I will be controversial: I do not think you will.

The number one thing most top achievers have in getting to their goals is the mental part. ALL I have read is "it's hard to find a cycle club in the SE of England" and laughably that it is hard to find somewhere to ride 30 miles in Kent/SE of England. "Oh, and the road surface is a bit bad. Oh and I cannot navigate" If you cannot overcome these you will not be the next Lance.

I have a 12 yr old nephew who plays for the Academy team of one of the UK's top football teams. He trains 2 hours a day and in spite of being smaller and perhaps not quite as good as some of the other boys his mental attitude means he has been kept on when others have been dropped.

Stop finding reasons for why you will fail and find reasons for why you will succeed. And keep us posted

Top Bottom