PULSE RATE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingSAM

Ok im 15.. I have a road bike and also a stationary bike it rates my pulse..

My normal pulse is 69-74 when just sitting there waiting for it.

Is this good?

What should my pulse actually be?

Is there a certain pulse to be 100% fit?

yello

Welcome to the forum CyclingSam.

Your pulse sounds fine to me, but I'm no doctor.

There isn't really a single pulse rate that defines fitness, there are too many individual factors that come into the equation, but I guess there's an age related broad spectrum that suggests good physical condition. I'd say you're comfortably in that range for your age.

Is there a reason you ask? Anything else giving you cause for concern?

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Just wanted to see if i was fit i want to be 100% fit, my dream is to get on the tour de france.

Hopefully go for it at 25 years old.

montage

God Almighty
CyclingSAM said:
Just wanted to see if i was fit i want to be 100% fit, my dream is to get on the tour de france.

Hopefully go for it at 25 years old.

I imagine TdF riders have a pulse rate of around 45/50 (if not lower) while resting. 69-74 is "average/healthy" I believe. No reason why you can't get fitter, being 15 is just about young enough to aim for a career like this. How much do you train? Are you going to college? (Going to college after GCSE's and pursuing a sport such as cycling isn't easy if you wish to excell in both). The competition will be tough, so if you aren't training enough, start now!

Young Un

Yeah, good luck in your TdF pursuit.

What kind of training are you doing currently?
Have you done any races yet?
Have you been scouted yet?
Your never too young to get sponsership and start working your way up!

Steve (14 year old)

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Im trying to get in a cycling club at the moment, its hard to find stuff like this around here in the southeast of england.

I have an exercise bike on that usually every other day for an hour, doing interval training that i found on the internet.

And yes right after school ill be doing full time cycling hopefully! parents think i need a job first to get the money to buy the equipment/bikes/etc.

I do 20 miles a week.. doesn't seem enough but then i go straight on to my exercise bike and do about 12 miles on that everyday.

Sometimes i even go for a 32 mile cycle at the weekend if a friend wants to go but not usually.

Young Un

You need to get racing now!

INterval training is really good! Your 15 right? so you would be in the youth a cat for which races range from 30mins to 60 mins. You need to have the 'on' time equate to the time that you will be racing, so for example in preperation for a 30min race i will do a turbo session that is

10min warm up / 10 min on / 5 min off / 10 min on / 5 min off / 10 min on / 10 min warm down.

Steve

montage

God Almighty
Wise words from young un :tongue: Sam where in SE england are you? You would most likely benefit from more cycling outdoors on your actual bike and I guess you want to be doing around 150miles a week at this take if you are serious about making it pro? I'm no expert, but the more you cycle, the better you will get :biggrin:

Young Un

also if you want to be competitive you need to scrap that interval session that you are using and use something like the one I posted earlier - you need endurance for racing and the TdF, whereas if you keep doing that one you will only build a good sprint.

and to give you an idea - I do about 110 miles a week, and I am still fast enough to be anywhere near the main bunch in a race.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Ok.. thanks all the bike clubs around here are just like.. meet up and go for cycle somewhere..

I need a coach club really.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Kent, Thanet. The roads arn't even that good/smooth here i wish nice smooth tracks around here. Theirs some hills ive basicly done them all lol, going up hills sitting down is a good idea? I do it all the time. Never failed on any hill never will lol.

Top Bottom