Pump it up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I've been relying on my father-in-laws ancient footpump to get some air in the old tyres. Now this is fine but a) its not mine, b) its a tad leaky and c) I don't think I'm getting enough pressure.

So I'm going to buy a new pump but Really don't know what kind to get. I've got a mini pump that lives on the bike so what I'm after is a home based big thing - but footpump or hand/track pump? I know footpumps, always used them. Trackpumps are new to me. Are they OK for MTBs?

Budget is low, as usual. I don't fancy spending too much, lets say 20-30 squid. Any recommendations out there?

For around £27 delivered you can get a Topeak Joe Blow, there are various ones like Sport, Track and Mountain etc

I use this http://www.ukbikesto...x?3&req=0-TJBS2 and it works really well, very easy to get my tyres up to 130 (and beyond) the head is brilliant and easy to get on and off. Works well on the MTB too, bit slower but does the job

Bonus with these is you can get a rebuild kit for £2 when the seals go.

Bit more of a budget for £17 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-high-pressure-floor-pump/

A track pump is about the best investment I've made (other than the bike). I was quite happy when the bloke in a lbs guided me to the middle of the range pump and after 4 years I can't fault it, its an Ed Co Op one. It'll pump up mtb tyres just fine and effortlessly, I've used mine no problem with old Mtb's

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Wow.

WOW!

Its amazing how easy it is to use a decent new pump. And also how shockingly bad my pressures were. I thought, according to some old airflow thing, I had pumped them to at least 35-40psi. It seems, I had actually managed to get to about 20psi. Now sitting happy at 55psi and the ride is so much better.

:whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Track pump all the way , it makes life a lot easier !

I did buy a halfords brand one a few years ago as i needed it there and then , it fits both road and mtb and i have never regretted the purchase .

Top Bottom