Pump recommendations want......mini X 2 & foot/track type needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As per the title........I need 2 new mini pumps and also a new foot/track pump.
I have a mini pump (from Decathlon) for the road bike but found it hard work-especially from flat.......I could just about manage 80 psi and that took for ever.
My requirements are...............
Not silly money.
Efficient/ease of use.........and able to get 80/90 psi (50 in the hard tail)
Re the mini.......I liked the look of the Topeak "Smarthead" which has an inbuilt flexible connector but I googled it and saw some very negative reviews.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
By foot pump do you mean track pump?

My track pump is a cheap Raleigh sub 15 quid jobby and it remarkably good....

Shaun

Edited to say it's a Raleigh pump........ the only Raleigh thing I own that was made after 1982 lol

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive had two minipumps, a topeak rocket jobby and a german one I cant remember the name of right now, both had good reviews but I hate sat there pumping away for over 200strokes IIRC and still not achieving what I consider a hard tyre so I went for the admittedly uglier option of a zefal rev88 frame pump...but, inflates a tyre supremely quickly compared to a mini and only costs IRO £6.
Had mine circa 10 yeqrs, still works perfectly.
If you dont mind the look from the side of the bike, and cheap really is of importance, a frame pump IMO is a far better option.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Efficient/ease of use.........and able to get 80/90 psi (50 in the hard tail)

A compact hand pump that will do high pressure road tyres and lower pressure/larger volume mtb tyres is a big ask.

The choice is high pressure (road tyres) or high volume (mtb/balloon tyres).

Lezyne helpfully label their pumps 'hp' or 'hv'.

Size will also give you a guide, a high volume pump will have a fatter air chamber.

I have compact Lezyne hv pumps, about £15 each, and they have got decent pressure into the tyres of the couple of roadies I've lent them to.

But for fast and efficient inflation of both types of tyre, I suggest you buy a hp pump and a hv one.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not quite sure I've understood what you're after but I have a topeak road morph pump, at 220gr it's not exactly mini but it has a one foot lever that means getting up to 100psi is no problem.
By mini pump I mean one that fits on the drinks holder while allowing pedals to turn.

wisdom

Guru
Topeak race rocket for the roadie and a Joe blow in the garage
Hybrid has a tesco one on the bottle cage all are excellent.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Track pump - Joe Blow II

Mini pump - I would look at Co2, carry it in a saddle bag or your jersey pocket. Still carry your Decathlon mini pump as Co2 works better after a bit of air in the tube first.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Dec66 had it off me. Max version. It may just have been faulty but the one I got half price from Pearsons Warehouse sale at £20 is 1000% better

Top Bottom