Pump recommendations want......mini X 2 & foot/track type needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Topeak pocket rocket. Can happily get to 100psi with normal effort, fits all your criteria, super reliable, excellent grip locked onto the valve and comfy in the hand. Highly recommended.

I have a good few years old now £15 Halfords track pump that works well enough for home use on a variety of bikes.

Gez73

Veteran
Joe Blow II track/floor pump and a Lezyne micro floor drive attached to bike under bottle cage. Also carry C02 cartridges and Aldi pump head for when I am feeling lazy. A decent floor pump for the shed/garage is invaluable. Bought a floor pump from TK Maxx of all places for £15, that is in work for use there. Anything half decent for the roadside will get you home to your track pump. Gez

Goggs

Guru
I have a Lezyne CNC Floor Drive track pump & it's excellent. It's also a design classic & makes for a neat headphone stand..

imagejpg4_zps0bc7e4c3.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Buy an SKS Renkompressor and never worry about rubbish track pumps again. Utterly bomb proof, does 230psi / 16bar, every part on it replaceable and available as a spare.

It's been the same design for 50 years so they've even brought out a jubilee special edition.
11395_RENNKOMPRESSOR_JUBILAEUM-500x500.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Halfords

I'm maybe just feeble due to chronic shoulder injury but the CCer who took it off me said its hard work too

winjim

Smash the cistern
I also have a Joe Blow Max II. It was fine when I had 35mm tyres but it's rubbish at road bike tyre pressures. Bear in mind it's only rated to 120psi so even 100 is going to be a struggle.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I've had a Joe Blow for 4-5 years and never had an issue getting 110-120 psi.
As @vickster said; I took the Joe Blow and I can get it to pump over 100psi, but by golly it's hard work. All my (considerable) weight goes into the last few pumps.

Not sure if the valve's constricted, but I'm not going to investigate, it makes a good piece of gym equipment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are pumping road tyres be sure to get a road pump with an narrow barrel, meaning you'll be able to achieve 100 psi easily.

Joeblow for example have pumps for mountain bikes that are rated for 30 psi and for road rated for 160 psi: http://www.topeak.com/products/Floor-Pumps

If you buy a pump for family or mountain bikes you'll get a fat barrel for bigger volumes at lower pressure and will struggle. These are they type more commonly sold at places like Halfrauds.

It's physics, innit?

Last edited:
image.jpeg

This is superb. It's a Lezyne mini track pump. Fits on the bike frame, or in a pack ( if you're too pro for frame carrying). Very light, very easy to use, and will get 100 psi in the tyres without too much effort. It cost about 40 quid, and is very good.

Top Bottom