Pumping up tubeless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, I am now running my first set of tubeless tyres but struggle with topping up the psi.
I can top them up but it takes a massive effort most of my 90kg bodyweight on the pump and it’s slow going just had massive resistance at 60-70psi. I Just wondered if that is how they are or if I should be doing something else or if I need a different pump?
I have just read about leaving the valves at the bottom for a bit to let any sealant drip out of them and then rotating to the top so will try this next time

alvintc

Veteran
Mine (only been running 3 months or so!) are no harder than tubed... but I do have a good pump

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Do you use a track pump? If not I'd guess this is your difficulty. I've always struggled to get any tyre above 90psi with a hand pump.

My one tip would be this. I find it necessary to release a little air by pressing the loosened valve down. I then open the valve more than I would with a tubed tyre.

Two or three strokes of my track pump will be easy and sufficient to top up to 90psi. I then add one further stroke to allow for air escaping when I uncouple the track pump.

Venod

Eh up
Take the valve cores out and clean them, poke something through the valve stem to see if its blocked.

Is your pump gauge accurate ?

You don't need high pressure in tubeless, they are much more comfortable with lower pressures IMO.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I am using a track pump which has been fine for all my previous tyres and at higher pressures.
As this is my first time tubelesss I wasn’t sure if it was normal or not which by the sounds of this it isn’t. I will have a play with the valve next time and try the technique above to see if that helps

Just make sure that the valves aren't gunked up with sealant, you can also effectively seal up your pump if you get some blow back that has some sealant in it, don't ask how i know :whistle: but it took me 1hr to clean my pump head out 2wks back and yes sealant was the culprit so it can cause issues.

YellowV2

Veteran
Take the valve cores out and clean them, poke something through the valve stem to see if its blocked.

Is your pump gauge accurate ?

You don't need high pressure in tubeless, they are much more comfortable with lower pressures IMO.
This, you don't really need more than circa 80 psi in 25mm tyres, less as size increases.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is one of the reasons I converted my son's MTB to good old fashioned tubes. As well as requiring regular pressure top-ups (much more frequently than with tubes) I was fed up of wrestling with the valves everytime. I even removed the valves and cleaned them with solvent a couple of times but the nature of the sealant meant it was back to square one the next time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This, you don't really need more than circa 80 psi in 25mm tyres, less as size increases.
Surely this is a matter of personal choice. I run my tubeless at 90psi on 28mm tyres. I'm perfectly comfortable, the bike rolls well and running at this pressure gives me the reassurance most things which cause punctures will bounce off.

Venod

Eh up
Surely this is a matter of personal choice. I run my tubeless at 90psi on 28mm tyres. I'm perfectly comfortable, the bike rolls well and running at this pressure gives me the reassurance most things which cause punctures will bounce off.

It is personel choice, I never ran my tubed 25mm above 75 psi, try running your tubless at lower pressure, I think you will be surprised at the different feel and they are no slower at lower pressures, no more puncture prone at lower pressure.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
The only time I require more pressure when pumping is when the valve is blocked with sealant, as others have noted. You can replace the valve core to resolve.

DRHysted

Guru
Before adding or removing air to my tubeless or slime filled tyres I leave the valve between 9 and 3 o’clock, so there is no gunk to obstruct the valve. So far it’s always worked.

lane

Veteran
Yes that's a good idea but it hasn't always worked for me. If you remember I think it's probably a good idea to leave the wheels in that position when you put the bike away.

Top Bottom