Puncture Anxiety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Last year I purchased some Prime RR 50-V2 wheels (60th Birthday treat to self). These are clincher and tubeless compatible.
When they arrived along with the new Continental Ultra Sport 2 folding tyres and tubes. I was very eager to get these fitted and on the bike. This is where it all went a rye. Could I mount the tyres, in a word no. I did all the usual mounting procedures ie Finishing at the valve, tried finishing opposite the valve. Pushed the bead into the wheel well to gain a little more, used talc on the bead even warmed the tyre on the radiator to gain more flex, no success.
In the end I had to reluctantly take them to the LBS. The guy didn't fit the tyres in front of me, so how and how long it took I'll never know. I asked if he had struggled he said they had been tough but he just used his thumbs and no tyre leavers as he was used to fitting tyres everyday.
Luckily I have not suffered a puncture whilst out on these wheels, if I had I would be stranded which has caused me puncture fairy anxiety.

My rear tyre is now ready for renewing. I am thinking of changing tyre type to Continental Grand Prix supposedly better puncture resistance.
I'm wondering if a wire bead would be easier to fit than a folding tyre or if anyone has any other ideas on fitting tyres?

Sharky

Guru
I'm sure that once you have ridden the wheel a few times, the tyre will have settled in and will be easier to refit should you have a puncture out on the road.

But there is only one way to prove it - try removing and refitting again at home before the next ride!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am good with tyres, but I had some hassle with Ultra Sports, you may find that by now they have loosened up, it might be worthwhile having a practice now. I have not used the standard Grand Prix but have never had problems with the Grand Prix 4000.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
I had that idea, after a 1000 miles or so I removed the front wheel and had a go at removing the tyre and refitting.
The tyre was very stuck on the rim so had to prise away with a tyre leaver which was still very difficult.
I did manage to refit the tyre but had to use a couple of tyre leavers (which I didn't want use on the carbon rims) + well over 60 minutes to do and left with very sore thumbs.
Outdoors side of of the road hmmmm I don't know.

Interesting you had trouble with Ultra Sports.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
x2 for practice, practice, practice!

Having said that, I've just built some new wheels for my commuter with Mavic Open pro tubeless rims but fitted with clincher tyres. I have always been able to remove/fit tyres just by hand/thumb, even on most 23mm tyres. Not on these rims, the tyres I took off the old wheels to swap to the new wheels were removed by hand only but were a struggle to refit and needed levers. These are 700x32 so should be a breeze to fit but they're not. The tyres are nearly worn out now so will be due replacing in the next month or two so I will see if getting them off is a problem....

Not all tyres are the same but I have wired and folding versions of the same tyres and they were both tight.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wire beads are harder to fit. Talc the inside of the tyre, and also the tube. Makes life much easier.

Sharky

Guru
Ha-ha my better half will not drive out of our town on roads she has never driven on..So it would be expensive taxi ride home..

Worries about being unable to get home are usually unfounded. I've had punctures, freewheels gone, broken frames and broken chains and always got home somehow. I also make a point of stopping (or slowing) when I see a fellow cyclist struggling at the roadside in case they need help.

And when I've had a spills have been given lifts home by ambulances and helicopters!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't know that is what I'm asking, the internet has differing opinions:wacko:

Ha-ha my better half will not drive out of our town on roads she has never driven on..So it would be expensive taxi ride home..
£18 a year for ETA rescue (they get you home or to LBS)

Top Bottom