Puncture Anxiety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I've got Ultra Sport tyres on a few of my bikes, in both wire and folding form.
The ones with wire beads are on 27 inch wheels, and I've found these to be noticeably easier to fit than the folding tyres which are on 700c wheels.
The folding tyres are very tough to fit, and I usually end up using tyre levers to get them on the rim - I've found that Schwalbe tyre levers are very good, and I've not pinched a tube while using them.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve got a set of folding Ultra Sports on my Raleigh Banana, they were an absolute pig to get on the rims. If I get a puncture I’d just Call Mrs Gunk to come and pick me up, I’d really struggle to change a tube roadside with these on.

I bought some Rubino folding tyres thinking they may be easier to change, wrong. In fact they were harder. I had some Ultra Sport wired which were a bit easier than the Vittoria`s, wired or folding. I have never used talc, did`nt think of that but I have used Fairy liquid though. I use 3 tyre levers, and a knee. Don`t ask about the knee ! Oh well since you have. It is to hold the second tyre lever in place, the first being held with a spoke. The third lever being between the two and edging sideways. That is just the final part of getting the tyre back on. I will try talc next time.

DRM

Guru
Do keep an eye on them, i’ve Had both GP4000S & Ultra Sports split, I can’t say I’m overly impressed with Continental tyres.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Not sure about road tyres, but I have had some very bad experiences with Continental MTB tyres, including their supposedly bulletproof Town & Country model.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not sure about road tyres, but I have had some very bad experiences with Continental MTB tyres, including their supposedly bulletproof Town & Country model.

What problems have you had? I currently run Conti tyres and they seem really good. Grip is epic but they can feel a little numb on the trail.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
What problems have you had? I currently run Conti tyres and they seem really good. Grip is epic but they can feel a little numb on the trail.

Keep your eye on the sidewalls. I had premature failure with both the T & C and the off road ones (I can't remember the model) and in the case of the T & C they were not as puncture proof as they claimed and one eventually split :eek:

DRM

Guru
Will do thanks....They do say made in Germany on the sidewall though :laugh:
r
So did the ones on mine, I was particularly annoyed by the GP4000S types as they were nearly £60 for the pair and came with glowing references, when it comes to replacement tyres next time I will research very carefully first.

Top Bottom