Puncture proof tyres, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
As you know I’m electrifying my Claude Butler Hybrid and I thought whilst I’m at it replace the old tyres?
Three questions, are puncture proof tyres any good?
Electric bicycles, do they need a grippy tread on the motor wheel?
Where’s the best place to purchase tyres from, any recommendations?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This begs the question of why you'd want to bin the original tyres if they're not worn out / visibly in need of replacement...

vickster

Legendary Member
Spacycles often have good deals on Marathons including the Plus which are durable. Otherwise just Google (although many of the cheaper suppliers are in EU)

I asked the same question recently here.

Several recommendations but I've decided to stick with the originals for now as they are nearly new, but will replace them with either Schwalbe Marathons or Continental Contact Plus when the time comes. An outsider choice is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB, chunky but I use them on my MTB with no issues.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just look for tyres with the mention of puncture protection - Schwalbe are some of the better ones.

Tyre choice will also depend upon the type of surface you'll be riding. A motor isn't going to cause wheel slippage, unless it's an 'illegal' one.

I have an ebike - actually it is the 4th I have owned (long story in some cases!)

Anyway - power and grip on the rear wheel are not an issue for a UK legal ebike
things with power oomph (i.e. not road legal in the UK) might have issues - depends on how much power

Puncture protection - well I have had loads of punctures - but very few since I stuck a Schwalbe Marathon on the back
I did have a Continental on the back and it was fine for a few years but started getting punctures - a look at it showed teh tread was wearing out and I think it just gave the hawthorn thorns that little bit extra in order to reach the inner tube - it is doing fine on the front with less weight on it

The original tyres on my Motus lasted a couple fo thousand miles - they came with Mitas tyres which claimed to be puncture resistant but were not all that good at it - several punctures and the frequency went up as the tread wore down.
The tread also wore down quicker on these.
SO personally I would go for Schwalbe Marathons - heavier but on an ebike that doesn;t matter so much

Ajax Bay

Guru
With the power backup the OP will have, weight and rolling resistance are far less an issue.
On grip a medium powerful rider will put out way more when needed (no motor) on a climb, say, so an (UK legal) e-bike needs no more 'grip'.
The system weight will be greater so, if clearance and rim width allows, worth going one width more.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus for the tyre that meets the apparent criteria. Halfrauds seem to have them. You can get e-Plus but I don't see the point, except for marketing (ooh a tyre 'specifically made' for e-bikes).

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
As far as I know, the only puncture proof tyres are ones that don't need inflating like Tannus. I've never used them but I've heard enough reports not to want to.
That aside, as far as I can remember, I've only had three punctures this century (and they were within a couple of months towards the end of the life of one tyre), using either Schwalbe Marathons or Vittoria Randonneurs.

Yes - the ebike specific ones seem, to me, to be relevant to places which allow ebikes with far bigger motors and hence are likely to run at far higher average speeds
Some people say you need the extra 'ebikeness' of the tyre for braking due to the extra weight - which is total "marketing speak" (sorry about the language!) because the variation in weight between 2 riders is far greater than the extra weight of the motor and battery.
Average ebike speed in the UK is, from my experience and observations, is somewhere between the normal cruising speed of a 'normal person' on a normal mountain bike (or wannabee) or hybrid - and that of a road bike being ridden by someone who does so quite often
i.e. about 13-14 mph - i.e. just below the legal motor cut off speed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No such thing as puncture proof, unless you're talking about Tannus solid tyres as @freiston says, only puncture resistant.
Marathon Plus are very good, although real barstewards to mount initially, and you might want to consider puncture resistance as on some e bikes removing a wheel might be difficult.

I have an ebike - actually it is the 4th I have owned (long story in some cases!)

Anyway - power and grip on the rear wheel are not an issue for a UK legal ebike
things with power oomph (i.e. not road legal in the UK) might have issues - depends on how much power

Puncture protection - well I have had loads of punctures - but very few since I stuck a Schwalbe Marathon on the back
I did have a Continental on the back and it was fine for a few years but started getting punctures - a look at it showed teh tread was wearing out and I think it just gave the hawthorn thorns that little bit extra in order to reach the inner tube - it is doing fine on the front with less weight on it

The original tyres on my Motus lasted a couple fo thousand miles - they came with Mitas tyres which claimed to be puncture resistant but were not all that good at it - several punctures and the frequency went up as the tread wore down.
The tread also wore down quicker on these.
SO personally I would go for Schwalbe Marathons - heavier but on an ebike that doesn;t matter so much

Gaaaaargghhh!

Just had my first puncture on my own Motus with Mitas tyres, couldn't repair either as my pump was either broken or useless.

Still going to stick with these tyres for now but will buy and test a better pump. Probably a mini stand or frame pump as my mini pump i have I've read a review quoting 200+ strokes to get to 25psi, no thanks!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Just saying "Schwalbes" isn't all that useful, given the wide range of tyres they make. They do everything from pure racing tyres to marathon+ puncture protected tyres and various others in between.

I didn't realize that. They only make tyres with puncture protection for my wheel size.

Top Bottom