Puncture repair glue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
How many times can a tube be repaired?

Assuming the puncture is in a different place each time, the answer should be many.

But, like I suspect most cyclists, I won't patch a tube more than two or three times.
Well I've had more than 10 patches on a tube. I don't know what the record is. I have been known to put a patch over part of another when a new puncture turns up that close. Not usually recommended but it can be done with a bit of nouse and care.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well I've had more than 10 patches on a tube.

Good effort.

I don't get many punctures, but I agree patching a tube at home - when the job goes well - is very satisfying.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's right up there with cleaning components and indexing to perfection. Love a bit of DIY.

I like cleaning, I think that's because I know I can do it well and won't make a balls of it.

Indexing falls into the 'likely fail' category for me which quickly leads to frustration and ill-temper.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I like cleaning, I think that's because I know I can do it well and won't make a balls of it.

Indexing falls into the 'likely fail' category for me which quickly leads to frustration and ill-temper.

That's what I love about indexing though...takes me at least half an hour of tinkering to get there and I play around with it most weekends...a week of commuting takes it's toll...those videos make me laugh though...every one of them takes about a minute to get it right...blast their infernal trickery! As for cleaning, yeah, I love a shiny cassette & chain - it's the business :smile:

Davidc

Guru
FWIW I bought Park self-adhesive patches when I first saw them reviewed, I think it was around 2008. I have never had one fail yet and have had to use them several times. Tyres usually pumped up to 100 psi and at about 80 when I routinely re-inflate.

The patches come with a piece of emery paper, and my repair technique is to rub the tyre with that until it's clean then wipe off the remains of ground rubber before putting on the patch. It then goes on my test rim & tyre at full pressure. I use a spare tube when on the road and repair at home so patching is done in the clean-ish and dry which probably helps.

Threw out all the old style rubber and glue patches about 7 years ago and haven't regretted doing so yet.

I can't think of any reason for throwing away a good tube just for a simple puncture needing 10 minutes of effort to repair it.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I often find I have used up all the glue before I`m even halfway through the patches!
Some people say that once the seal has been broken, the glue slowly dries, and you eventually end up with an empty tube. The glue is mostly solvent, so that may make sense. In the past I've certainly squeezed tubes that I thought had been hardly used, only to find that nothing comes out.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
On a slightly related topic, if the puncture hole is only small but you only have one large patch left, can you cut the patch in two without affecting it`s integrity (stickability lol)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On a slightly related topic, if the puncture hole is only small but you only have one large patch left, can you cut the patch in two without affecting it`s integrity (stickability lol)

Yes, although you would lose the feather edge down the cut side.

Common sense suggests this would make it more likely for the patch to peel off, so it might be best not to rely on the repair for longer than you have to.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I've never bothered mending a tube,since putting a tube back in the bike and pumping the tyre up and blowing the patch straight off

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've never bothered mending a tube,since putting a tube back in the bike and pumping the tyre up and blowing the patch straight off
Usually it's best to let the repair "cure" for about 24 hrs. So use a spare tube out on the road and repair at home - warmth helps the curing process too. In the winter I carry two spare tubes. Usually can get away with one spare in the better weather.

zacklaws

Guru
Some people say that once the seal has been broken, the glue slowly dries, and you eventually end up with an empty tube. The glue is mostly solvent, so that may make sense. In the past I've certainly squeezed tubes that I thought had been hardly used, only to find that nothing comes out.

I have this problem, but I read that when you apply the solution, do not touch the inner tube with the tube of glue, dab it on your finger and smear it over the puncture. If the tube touches the inner tube it starts the curing process so next time you open the tube, it has all dried up. I also ensure, no air is in the tube of solution when I replace the cap. Since doing this, I now find my glue never dries up, but I always have a brand new unopened tube of glue with me on all rides just in case.

My repairs I find are ready to use within minutes and never had a problem and never seen anything about 24 hours curing before.

G3CWI

Veteran
But, like I suspect most cyclists, I won't patch a tube more than two or three times.

I think that makes sense. My impression is that patches occasionally fail and for me having more than two on a tyre does not seem sensible. I usually chuck tubes if the puncture hole is large too.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The hard drive packed up in my Freeview PVR last year. I went down to the local IT recycling charity and bought a used replacement drive for £10. I replaced the duff drive with that, reformatted it and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I don't like the throwaway society. I do my best to make stuff last, and then recycle what I can when it is beyond repair.
Hoorah! I am not alone! I've done the same with my PVR, and detest the 'chuck it' philosophy. How many times can a tube be patched? However many times it gets punctured, the only exception being if you would be left with overlapping patches - that never works.

More often than not, I can repair a puncture in as little or less time than it would take to replace the tube, simply because there's usually no need to remove the wheel. The secret, IMHO, is easy on the glue (a small spot, smeared thin with a finger), give it a couple of minutes to dry (till it looks matt, not glossy) before applying the patch, then firm pressure on the patch with a thumb for 10-20 seconds. Job done.

Top Bottom