Puncture repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User76022

True story. Years ago a friend of ours reduced his 'field kit' down to a pair of pliars, an adjustable spanner, and a roll of black pvc tape. That pvc tape proved invaluable on many occasions. It would hold things in place if they'd come loose, and it would make an effective short term temporary puncture repair to get us home. In the latter use, having found the hole, you wrap tape round several times while the tube is partially inflated. It would of course mean that you'd have one patch of wheel that wasn't as fully inflated as the rest, as the tape would limit the expansion at that point, but it would get you home.

Ajax Bay

Guru
True story. Years ago a friend of ours reduced his 'field kit' down to a pair of pliars, an adjustable spanner, and a roll of black pvc tape.
Interesting that 'black maskers' was good enough for a 'get you home' fix. I guess it relies on the puncture being small enough for the tube to retain some pressure before the tape is swiftly wrapped (or a two person job). Or maybe a torn off bit applied and then pumped up for the 'round the tube' wrap.
Do tell us how whether the pliers and adjustable spanner proved equally useful, and how? I guess this was 'years and years' ago before hex bolts took over from 'normal' bolts around the bike.
I suspect that most rider's 'field kit' weighs rather less than those two items.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Do tell us how whether the pliers and adjustable spanner proved equally useful, and how? I guess this was 'years and years' ago before hex bolts took over from 'normal' bolts around the bike
Yep. Back in the days of steel bikes that weighed half a tonne and were bolted together. I actually can't remember the pliars proving useful. It was a long time ago. Holding stuff still perhaps while nipping up from tother side with the spanner. It was a long time ago.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
I had 9 punctures on one ride. I had one patch left. Not sure I would want to carry nine spare tubes.

Though i was the record holder with 3 punctures on one day, but 9, you are by far the winner just hope i never come close to breaking your score.

Any one else had more than 3 or can even come close to Yukonboys run in with the puncture fairy ( or fairies )?

PS i mend tubes after i get home then refit so my spare tubes are either new or as near as.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Amazing...did you actually ride it during this time!?

I accumulated several thousand miles on it. Mostly off road too, although just on trails, nothing heavy. Over the 12 years it had to have a replacement fork as the former suspension fork became rigid (I think I bent something inside), new brake blocks, and several minor adjustments to brakes and gears. Eventually the headset bearings failed. That's when I bought my new bike. Then I couldn't bare to scrap my old bike so I spent in total about 30 quid to replace the bald back tyre and the worn headset bearings, gave it a service, and now it's good again.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I dug out my puncture outfit from the saddle bag, I'm not saying it's old BUT it's got the rubber tubes for the valves in it. UNUSED the rubber solution is still sealed!
Do you think I'd better get a new one.:rolleyes:

lazyfatgit

Got 4 on one ride. After i had given away 2 tubes to unprepared folk as I was only about 10km from the finish. Had to patch. Grrrrrr

My last bike went 12 years without a puncture. My current bike has had 2 in 6 months.

The first one, I repaired with a puncture repair kit that cost me 6 quid. It comes with a set of useless tools including two plastic tyre levers that bent on first use. When I got my second puncture I thought I'd better buy a replacement inner tube in case the new puncture was actually a failure of the previous repair. As it turned out it wasn't, so I was able to repair it and save the new tube as a spare.

But this got me thinking. If an inner tube is 3 quid, is there really any point messing about with fiddly puncture repairs?

Get some decent tyre levers for a start!

I purchased today a repair kit consisting of patches and glue only for AUD2.70 or about GBP1.50.

I try to get a new one each year as the glue can go off in the tube which is not a good thing when you are on the road and have already used your spare tube.

Fortunately modern tyres do not puncture very easily until they start wearing out but I will patch a tube at least three times before discarding it.

Mike

I dug out my puncture outfit from the saddle bag, I'm not saying it's old BUT it's got the rubber tubes for the valves in it. UNUSED the rubber solution is still sealed!
Do you think I'd better get a new one.:rolleyes:

The puncture outfit that I purchased today still has the rubber tube for the Woods valves.
Wikipedia says:
The Dunlop valve, (also called a Woods valve or an English valve) is a type of pneumatic valve stem in use in some countries, such as Japan,[1] Czech Republic, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Poland, Romania, Russia, the Netherlands, Germany, Britain, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and a number of developing countries, mostly on bicycle inner tubes.

Not sure that there are many woods valve tubes in Britain however!

Mike

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure that there are many woods valve tubes in Britain however!
Schwalbe DV range of tubes. Used by all discerning hybrid and town bike riders because they fit in Schrader-drilled rims but let you use the same pump head as Presta valves and don't rely at all on a spring to close the valve.

But modern Woods valves use ball bearings rather than rubber pipe. It's been a long time since I saw a tubed one.

MachersMan

I struggled with tyre levers snapping until I bought a pair of Pedro's. Well worth it and never had a problem since.

Top Bottom