Puncture resistance - knobbly or slick gators.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Have currently got gators on my bike (90% ridden on road) but have had punctures the last three weekends!! The gators are only six months old or so, so should theoretically have plenty left in them. So just wondering, would the original knobbly tyres (Rocket Rons) offer better puncture resistance?

Ian193

Über Member
How many miles have they done. How often do you check your tyre pressures It could just be bad luck

Slick

Guru
I reckon it's just your luck. I think I only got a few weeks out of my first shawlbe Durano plus, but the last tyre went on 9 months ago, without any problems since. Mtb tyres may be different though.

Ian193

Über Member
My front tyre is a continental Gaitorskin Hardshell and I've had 1 puncture in 1,138 miles I think I've been extremely lucky to only have one puncture in all those miles

It really is just the luck of the draw. You can go for thousands of Km without getting a puncture and then have a series of them. It doesn't seem to have a lot to do with tyres either. I bought some new wheels for one of my bikes which were fitted with Vittoria tyres on the shop's recommendation. I chucked them after a few weeks as they had experienced a series of punctures. Earlier this year I bought a new bike with exactly the same tyres on it. 3000km on - no punctures!

Right now is hedge cutting season and I have been lucky. You cannot expect many tyres to survive a direct hit from a hawthorn spike. I have the impression, by the way, that farmers are being a it more careful about clearing the road this year.

As for tyre choice, I would always go for the best ride, and take my chance with punctures. It's only a ten minute delay, after all, and I am a pensioner, so not going anywhere in a hurry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here. That's why I'm always harping on about Veloflex Corsas, which ride fantastically and grip like a grippy thing but are still subject to the laws of chance, same as any other tyre.

Tin Pot

Guru
Have currently got gators on my bike (90% ridden on road) but have had punctures the last three weekends!! The gators are only six months old or so, so should theoretically have plenty left in them. So just wondering, would the original knobbly tyres (Rocket Rons) offer better puncture resistance?

Apparently Gators (scoring 18) are far more resistant to puntures than rocket rons(8):

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews/schwalbe-rocket-ron-liteskin-2015

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
They aren't pinch flats are they?
No, proper punctures made by flints. decided I ride too much in the gutters, so will rectify from now on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
proper punctures made by flints. decided I ride too much in the gutters
Since you're unlucky enough to have the threat of flints, you might mitigate the risk of flats by diligent post ride checking of your tyres (ie clean, dry and inspect, with safety pin at the ready for digging).

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Since you're unlucky enough to have the threat of flints, you might mitigate the risk of flats by diligent post ride checking of your tyres (ie clean, dry and inspect, with safety pin at the ready for digging).
Sound advice, I'm pretty useless at that kind of stuff but if it'll save me grief, think I need to do it.

Top Bottom