Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there - was out cycling today on my hybrid (Specialized Sirrus Sportt) and got a puncture. I was really surprised because I've got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (I know they are not 100% but this is the first time I've got a flat tyre since using them). Anyway, I forgot to take some spare inner tubes but fortunately wasn't that far from home.

When I got home, I found it very difficult to get the tyre off (Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are really thick) - it was also difficult to get the tyre back on once I had put the new inner tube in. I used tyre levers to both take the tyre off and put it back on. I did make sure that the inner tube did not get caught in the rim. However, on trawling the net, it would appear that you're not supposed to use tyre levers in this type of situation (there is no way I would have been able to get the tyre on/off just using my thumbs/fingers). I've pumped up the tyre and "banged it on the floor" and few times and so far so good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hard plastic levers and being careful and you should be fine.
Don't believe everything you read on the electrical intaweb.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Glasgow44 I once pushed a Marathon plus in the rim by standing on it with my foot :laugh:
If you need any help with your bike's mechanics, get yourself to the Glasgow Bike Station, they have sessions called "fix y0ur own bike", you are not expected to fix it yourself, their mechanics will guide you through the process, you pay a small fee (I think it's £ 4.00) and the price of parts, if needed.
Good place to start learning.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's how to put a Marathon Plus on. The clip is a classic. BTW, he makes it look far too easy. Taking one off is not too hard if it's been used for a bit because the rubber gets more pliable.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4[/media]

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think it's best practice when mounting a tyre to approach it with an attitude of 'I'll try and get this on with my bare hands' and then use a lever if you can't, having tried. Some tyres are reputably harder ie tighter than others and most tyres are tighter when new. Getting the opposite beads in the well helps, and don't try to do the last bit opposite the valve (because the beads won't go down into the well by the valve). And did someone mention talc?

Top Bottom