Punctured tubes; repair or bin

Punctured tube - repair or bin?

• Repair

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Repair until they fall to bits, or until there's more patch than tube.

Blue

Legendary Member
yello said:
I've always ridden with a spare. Not for me is the road side repair (though I do carry a kit,.

Good idea. I once worked my way through 2 spares and then had to resort to a repair on an unfortunate ride.

Blue

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Repair until they fall to bits, or until there's more patch than tube.

That sounds like a friend of mine. The guy punctured during a group ride and when he removed his tyre he already had 14 patches on the tube!!

Blue

Legendary Member
I sometimes repair and sometimes bin. It depends on how I'm feeling, and how many spares I have available, when the need arises!!

mondobongo

Über Member
I generally repair them a couple of times depending on the size and location of hole.

02GF74

Über Member
how wasteful you all our!! Think of all the homeless baby Koalas!!:ohmy:

I patch but draw the line when I have to stick patches onto patches!!:wacko:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I always carry two spare tubes so I can repair the removed tube later in the comfort of my own home. Mind you, the last time I punctured I knew exactly where the hole was because of the big chunk of glass sticking out of the tyre - so I was able to remove only that section of the tube and patch it.

It was the rear wheel so I was reluctant to take the whole thing off unless I really had to. Glad I didn't, as that was the time that the two junkies were standing next to me debating how to do me in and nick my bike :angry:

yello said:
Do you bother repairing tubes? Do you even think about it?

Scenario: you've punctured. You're at home. The tube hasn't been repaired before and is relatively new. You have a stock of new tubes. You also have the means to repair the puncture. What's it to be; the glue or the bin?

Why do I ask? Well, I'm kind of debating why I bother repairing. I punctured a few days back for the first time in ages; one tube of glue was useless (hard as), some of the patches were looking distinctly ropey. A new tube is a couple of quid (say €3 here). Is it even worth the bother??

Just interested in how many people don't bother repairing, not even giving it a thought.

I p'tured a few weeks back and found all my tubes of glue were hard too, except the Lidl one. I repaired it but it never worked, even on the second attempt. I bought a new repair kit but didn't want to open the glue till I really need it so I might just bin the tube.

tyred

Legendary Member
If they're room for another patch,, then it gets repaired. I would consider it ridiculously wasteful to do anything else.

Rema Tip Top is by far and away the best PRK ime.

Plax

Guru
john_spiral said:
anyone recommend a decent/cheap repair kit?

Tesco's do one for a £1. Seems okay to me.

I personally always repair my tubes. I carry two spares with me and fix the punctured tube when I get home.

Top Bottom