Punctured tubes; repair or bin

Punctured tube - repair or bin?

• Repair

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Repair unless they're old. Throwing away otherwise pefectly good tubes is just disgusting wastefulness.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Repair until they fall to bits, or until there's more patch than tube.

Blue

Legendary Member
yello said:
I've always ridden with a spare. Not for me is the road side repair (though I do carry a kit,.

Good idea. I once worked my way through 2 spares and then had to resort to a repair on an unfortunate ride.

Blue

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Repair until they fall to bits, or until there's more patch than tube.

That sounds like a friend of mine. The guy punctured during a group ride and when he removed his tyre he already had 14 patches on the tube!!

Blue

Legendary Member
I sometimes repair and sometimes bin. It depends on how I'm feeling, and how many spares I have available, when the need arises!!

mondobongo

Über Member
I generally repair them a couple of times depending on the size and location of hole.

02GF74

Über Member
how wasteful you all our!! Think of all the homeless baby Koalas!!:ohmy:

I patch but draw the line when I have to stick patches onto patches!!:wacko:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I always carry two spare tubes so I can repair the removed tube later in the comfort of my own home. Mind you, the last time I punctured I knew exactly where the hole was because of the big chunk of glass sticking out of the tyre - so I was able to remove only that section of the tube and patch it.

It was the rear wheel so I was reluctant to take the whole thing off unless I really had to. Glad I didn't, as that was the time that the two junkies were standing next to me debating how to do me in and nick my bike :angry:

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
yello said:
Do you bother repairing tubes? Do you even think about it?

Scenario: you've punctured. You're at home. The tube hasn't been repaired before and is relatively new. You have a stock of new tubes. You also have the means to repair the puncture. What's it to be; the glue or the bin?

Why do I ask? Well, I'm kind of debating why I bother repairing. I punctured a few days back for the first time in ages; one tube of glue was useless (hard as), some of the patches were looking distinctly ropey. A new tube is a couple of quid (say €3 here). Is it even worth the bother??

Just interested in how many people don't bother repairing, not even giving it a thought.

I p'tured a few weeks back and found all my tubes of glue were hard too, except the Lidl one. I repaired it but it never worked, even on the second attempt. I bought a new repair kit but didn't want to open the glue till I really need it so I might just bin the tube.

tyred

Legendary Member
If they're room for another patch,, then it gets repaired. I would consider it ridiculously wasteful to do anything else.

Rema Tip Top is by far and away the best PRK ime.

Plax

Guru
john_spiral said:
anyone recommend a decent/cheap repair kit?

Tesco's do one for a £1. Seems okay to me.

I personally always repair my tubes. I carry two spares with me and fix the punctured tube when I get home.

Top Bottom