Punctured tubes; repair or bin

Punctured tube - repair or bin?

• Repair

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Do you bother repairing tubes? Do you even think about it?

Scenario: you've punctured. You're at home. The tube hasn't been repaired before and is relatively new. You have a stock of new tubes. You also have the means to repair the puncture. What's it to be; the glue or the bin?

Why do I ask? Well, I'm kind of debating why I bother repairing. I punctured a few days back for the first time in ages; one tube of glue was useless (hard as), some of the patches were looking distinctly ropey. A new tube is a couple of quid (say €3 here). Is it even worth the bother??

Just interested in how many people don't bother repairing, not even giving it a thought.

Domestique

Über Member
Repair, even though some tubes just want to fight you all the way, they get a patch stuck on in the end :wacko:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
What - and waste good rubber ? Too miserly to throw away. I sort of enjoy repairing them too.

Old inner tubes also make good shock absorbers (eg through a mooring line to make springs for mooring a boat), the X-sections are good for non-slip round handlebars etc, and they make excellent firelighters, apparently.

Danny

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Repair twice, bin third time
Why do you and fossyant have an arbitrary limit of two patches? I think I've had up to six patches on some of my inner tubes.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm sure the best for the environment is to repair :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Dannyg said:
Why do you and fossyant have an arbitrary limit of two patches? I think I've had up to six patches on some of my inner tubes.

Down to the cheapness in the price of tubes. I carry 2 on the bike and have a spare one both at home and at work and really cannot be bothered on any more than 2 repairs per tube.

Milo

Guru
Aelways repair im to much of a tight ass to ride with a spare tube.
Sort of regretted that when I got a puncture a couple of weeks back at midnight on a tree laden cotswold road.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I've always ridden with a spare. Not for me is the road side repair (though I do carry a kit, probably not much good as it's probably past its best). I have always repaired tubes at home though.

I bought a couple of new ones from Decathlon a few days back and it just struck me that they're cheap enough so why bother repairing. I figured some people must just bin punctured tubes... not as many as I might have thought though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I always patch mine (although I bung a spare in at the side of the road, and repair at home). Tubes that are past repairing get new lives as rubber bands to keep spare batteries together in my tool pouch etc etc.

OP
OP
Y

yello

John the Monkey said:
1,000 uses for old inner tubes[/URL].

I like that! Especially the 'ugly your bike' ideas!

Why do you have an arbitrary limit of two patches?

I can see the sense in it. It's just a line in the sand decision point. I look at tubes sometimes and try and decide whether a puncture is the result of a generally weakening tube or just a puncture. That's daft; obsessive, taking things too far and maybe not worth the effort. Just bin it!

Top Bottom