Punctures at innertube folds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grasen

[QUOTE 1181445"]
Morning

I've posted this before but didn't get an answer, but it happened again last week so I thought I'd have another go.

That's twice now where I've had an inner tube puncture at a fold. They're 26" rims with the correct tubes in, but when fitted they're too big to go in the tyre, so there's an inevitable fold in the tube. Understandably this doesn't sit well and a hole wears in one of the folds.

Does anyone else get this?
[/quote]

and you are SURE you have the right size tube ?

26 is not always 26
and a tube has a diameter

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Obviously they can't be the correct size for the wheel if they have to fold to fit. Try a different brand perhaps?

Grasen

is the size on the tire and the size on the tube exactly the same ?
is there any size markings on the rim ?

Fiona N

Veteran
How much air do you put in the tube before you put it into the tyre?

I've seen people put 5-10psi into the tube which overinflates it - not just in diameter but also in length - so when they try to get it inside the tyre they have to resort to squashing and folding it.

If this sounds familiar, try only putting enough air in the tube to separate the sides (assuming it's been stored flattened and rolled) and make it start to go round but not so much that it springs up like a hoolahoop. The valve may need to be screwed shut as very low air pressure in the tube may mean that it won't push the valve closed.

I always put a it of air in the tube before fitting it under the tyre. Not much, just enough to give the tube some shape so it fits up into the tyre instead of flopping about and getting folded or caught between rim and tyre. Also I dust my tyres with a bit of baby powder (old habit from bike shop days) which seems to allow the tube to move more freely inside the tyre and stops folds occuring.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've had this too. Tubes clearly marked 27 x 1 1/4 but about three inches longer than it should've been. LBS sell these cheaply (I forget the brand) but I wouldn't use them anymore as they always fail. Not only are they too big for the wheel on my road bike, they are two big for the huge wheel on my rod braked roadster. My advice to the OP is to use a different brand of tube.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
There's a little tyre fitting video from Spa Cycles and I was interested to see that the guy fitted the tube inside the tyre then the two onto the rim together. I gave it a go and it was easy, none of that prodding and poking the tube inside the bead.

Davidc

Guru
There's a little tyre fitting video from Spa Cycles and I was interested to see that the guy fitted the tube inside the tyre then the two onto the rim together. I gave it a go and it was easy, none of that prodding and poking the tube inside the bead.

That's the way I was taught a long time ago and it works well. I've come across over length tubes as described by User, and they show up straight away (and then go straight back wherever they came from).

I've had no size problems with tubes for 26 x 1 1/2 or for 700c 32 tyres from Continental, Schwalbe or Michelin but have with unknown brand cheap ones.

Top Bottom