puts me off joining a cycling club..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's not just clubs, it's the same in professional cycling, look how many times a team has pushed to catch up with a breakaway and when they do catch up, they over take saying nothing and then slow down again.

They never pull up for a chat or all stop for a bit of cake and a cup of tea together.
Another good reason for me to avoid organised clubs.

This is an excellent thread!

screenman

Legendary Member
I am sure clubs are nice, but yes, I prefer to ride alone - I have been in large groups of riders before, and quite frankly, I'd rather be alone. There are too many people who annoy me you see.

Why do you have to ride in large groups if you belong to a club? Most of the members of the club I belong to do not and never will do that.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just the club I have seen out locally, I don't know what they do personally though.

I have, however, seen them out on a busy A82, which just makes me cringe to think about.

No, you have not seen the club out you have seen a few members of the club out. That is the huge difference that some seem blind too.

Lee gg

I have to agree, Colchester rover's are true cycle self-gratification artists, there are other decent clubs in colchester though, ColVelo Collective, VC Revolution l, and the Colchester CTC branch
I have heard a lot of good stories coming out of joining boxted cycle club.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm probably in a minority, but I would never consider joining a club as I actually enjoy the solitude of riding alone.
We're glad too ....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I must upset a few people being a portly , club riding ,road racing , uploading to Strava , MAMIL .
burning-heretic.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No, you have not seen the club out you have seen a few members of the club out. That is the huge difference that some seem blind too.

How many of a club do you need to see before you have 'seen' them? :whistle:

When I started cycling again, I went on to their website and joined some sort of forum..... And then promptly forgot about it, but then, I never ever heard anything from them either, so we appear to have cancelled each other out.

I don't know, maybe I will change in the future, but it just doesn't really appeal to me right now anyway.

Hyslop

Veteran

screenman

Legendary Member
Does not matter if it is not something you want, I just dislike that thought that people with little knowledge of a cycling club may be putting others off joining.

I would think less than 40% of the members of the club I belong too wear club kit.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I am sure clubs are nice, but yes, I prefer to ride alone - I have been in large groups of riders before, and quite frankly, I'd rather be alone. There are too many people who annoy me you see.

Same here. Much happier on my own. And at about 9mph too. Life's fast and serious enough for me already without having to buy all the kit and roar about the place. Good luck to them what do, but not for me.

Top Bottom