puts me off joining a cycling club..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
" I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" Groucho Marx.

TMN to @Poacher there for post # 39

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I belonged to a mountain bike club, a regular programme was published and rides run successfully but after a few years I grew tired of repeating the same old favourite routes over and over again rather than getting out with a map and exploring, and tired of the constant bitching that went on, especially at club meets, which went from a pleasurable pint or two with pals to an evening of recrimination over why membership was falling.

screenman

Legendary Member
I feel it's the opposite: why would you join a club that the only thing you know about is that some of the members bad mannered?

I guess if you really wanted to be in a club, and it was the only one in your area, but otherwise?

Did you not join the human race, or even this form for that matter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I feel it's the opposite: why would you join a club that the only thing you know about is that some of the members bad mannered?

I guess if you really wanted to be in a club, and it was the only one in your area, but otherwise?
I don't think the club members have even been bad mannered. They overtook the OP and then failed to speed off. I can't see any problem with it, but the OP can. That's easy for me to say because I'm always being overtaken, so I'm used to it and pay no mind to people who overtake me.

Did you not join the human race, or even this form for that matter.
Human race was not a choice, but the first people I met were very nice - though I don't remember first meeting them, they were almost always nice to me (except when they wouldn't let me camp out for The Police tickets). And I joined this forum after lurking for a bit, and liking what I saw. I'm not sure what point you are making.

I don't think the club members have even been bad mannered. They overtook the OP and then failed to speed off. I can't see any problem with it, but the OP can. That's easy for me to say because I'm always being overtaken, so I'm used to it and pay no mind to people who overtake me.
Agreed. But my point was really if you didn't like they way riders from a club behaved, then it's logical to not want to join that club. I'm sure @Fab Foodie's club would be an anathema to some, and they would be sensible to find a group that matched them better.

screenman

Legendary Member
@Dogtrousers - you are right. I am generally not a clubby person. I was researching it because I am not getting our as much as I would like due to my regular riding partners losing interest/having other priorities. I don't mind riding on my own but tend to get bored over a couple of hours without company. I just thought it might help, that's all.

Our club has about 200 members and there are hundreds of rides going out each week that would be happy to have you along, only a small percentage of most clubs are seen out on a Sunday run and in club kit.

screenman

Legendary Member
Human race was not a choice, but the first people I met were very nice - though I don't remember first meeting them, they were almost always nice to me (except when they wouldn't let me camp out for The Police tickets). And I joined this forum after lurking for a bit, and liking what I saw. I'm not sure what point you are making.

Agreed. But my point was really if you didn't like they way riders from a club behaved, then it's logical to not want to join that club. I'm sure @Fab Foodie's club would be an anathema to some, and they would be sensible to find a group that matched them better.

Not everybody on here is nice was my point.

To judge a club with maybe 200 members just by the few seen in muppetry in my humble.

It is often the people with very limited or no knowledge of clubs who spend time running them down.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some wannabees wearing Etixx kit zoomed past me on Friday. Complete with cars and a photographer, and not so much as a cheery wave or a hello. I think they were warming up for some pretend race thing that started on Saturday near where I was. ;)
That reminds me... one of the most amusing incidents it's been my pleasure to enjoy has been a rider in Etixx replica kit and a world champion replica struggling to pass some of our Freewheeling group riding up some of West Norfolk's steeper hills (so not long and not that steep but we have a few that I can't finish on the three-speed on a bad day) which of course we ride fairly often and know where to change gear and so on. When we stopped to regroup after the peak, they were heard to say something insulting like "surprising they can ride so far on bikes like that"... it was tempting to chase them down and scalp them again on Admirals Drive (another slope that's easier if you know it)...

Life's fast and serious enough for me already without having to buy all the kit and roar about the place. Good luck to them what do, but not for me.
Do you see @Fab Foodie's club in all the kit and roaring about the place? There's more than one type of club. :rolleyes:

rather remind me of some of the rides i used to lead for an lcc group - nice mix of regulars, ocassionals etc - you never knew who was going to turn up. Sometimes some hard long rides but generally chilled atmosphere.
Yes, some Freewheeling groups spring up attached to CycleNation groups, as have some other FNRs.

I have never been part of a club due to an inability to get out of bed early enough at weekends but have been looking into it recently.
I know what you mean. We start at 10am, which means I get up about 8. I don't much like the idea of getting up at 6 for an 8am start and it would mean far more winter rides cancelled due to unthawed ice.

A prominent mandatory hat rule suggests to me that it may be a more sporty/racy kind of outfit.
Sometimes and I agree with @Fab Foodie that I've never seen insurers insist for a group ride. Most often I think it's just that they've got a helmet-user who likes telling people what to do.
0b5fd40148009a6715ed96baa0099d854769b544.jpg

I think the key rule that identifies a racing cycling club is a requirement to pedal downhill (so anyone following you too closely for safety doesn't crash into your back wheel). I think that's why some alternative clubs identify as Freewheeling, to highlight that we positively encourage it - if you can take both feet off while the rider behind videos or photographs it, so much the better! :laugh:

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think the key rule that identifies a racing cycling club is a requirement to pedal downhill
Can you identify the "racing cycling club" you have experience of which has led you to that 'thought'? Many clubs have levels of ride from the 'A' ride (faster and longer) up (or down if you prefer) though the spectrum. The number of different rides tends to be determined by demand and participation, and posters above have illustrated that. There's space for all sorts (of clubs) and none. The important thing is that people can enjoy their cycling, in groups or alone, or a combination, in accordance with personal preference.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can you identify the "racing cycling club" you have experience of which has led you to that 'thought'?
Yes but I would prefer not to, just in case they take it the wrong way. If you search for things like club and "do not freewheel" or "keep pedalling", then you'll find various clubs and possibly even the ones both here and where I used to live.

Many clubs have levels of ride from the 'A' ride (faster and longer) up (or down if you prefer) though the spectrum.
I think a few do, but it seems more common to have different clubs for different styles than it used to be, possibly because of control-freak attempts to impose inappropriate rules on fun rides encouraging them to set up as independent clubs.

Top Bottom