Putting road tyres onto CX wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for advice/suggestions for putting some Schwalbe Marathon + tyres onto my Focus Mares AX Tiagra instead of the Rocket Rons.

I'll be using the Focus mostly as a long-distance day tourer (100-200+ miles every now and then). I'll still be using my CAAD 10 as my main bike for shorter distances.

Current size of the RRs is 700x33: I'm not sure whether to go down to a 700x32 or up to a 700x35. I assume the 1mm or 2mm difference in tyre size won't present a problem (or will it?). And what about tyre pressure? For a very small difference, how significant might that be?

Thanks for any comments.

jim55

Guru
That's not go a make any diff really , if the rimsarewide enough then I'd go for 35s for more comfort

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I changed the tyres on my Specialized Crux from 700x32 CX tyres to a 700x25 Specialized Armadillo road tyre with pressures at 100psi front and back. The bike was significantly quicker as you would expect when changing from quite a Knobbly CX tyre.
Whatever profile you choose you will notice the biggest difference moving from Rocket Rons to a slicker road tyre.

Last edited:
I run 35C Marathon Plus on my CAADX as I use it for commuting. 80psi rear and 70psi front.

Very comfortable and no punctures in 3000 miles.

Plenty fast on the flat but you'll notice the additional weight going up hill.

Graham.

Are the rims tubeless ready? If so you could look at some Schwalbe s-ones or even the Hutchinson Sectors I have on although they are 'only' 28c(although they come up smaller),they have been brilliant so far no cuts or anything.

potsy

Rambler
I think I'll put my 35s back on my (occasional) CX commuter, been running with 28's since I took the ice tyres off but am missing the comfort of the wider tyres.

SonicRob

i use continental touring tyre 47's in case i do a bit of farm track or continental retro ride 50's if its all going to be road

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Got 25c on my CX wheels at the moment only because they were spare. If I was buying road specific tyres I would probably go to 28c. Come autumn and do what i promised myself and do the winter league I will get a spare set of wheels for knobblies !

Top Bottom