Puzzled by saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have six bicycles available for me to ride, out of which l ride four regularly. They are all set up as well as l can for me and which one l choose to ride on any given day depends on the weather, the phase of the moon, my mood etc.etc. so they are all ridden regularly. Each bike has a different saddle and if 3 stars is a top comfort score ,this is how l rate them :-
Sel Italia -Gel-Flow **
Sel Italia Turbo Matic2 *
Charge Spoon **
Charge Knife no stars at all ! I quite see why its called "knife"!! when l get off the bike l wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of spherical objects left behind on the saddle.
I guess that all this guff proves nothing much except that for me it raises the question "why can't all saddles have a reasonable level of comfort"? Or maybe this is a pointless question and just have too much time on my hands today :rolleyes:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Because saddles are a personal thing so when you get one that suits your arse bones stick with it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
All the bike's i use for 10+ mile rides are all fitted with either selle smp 209 lite or selle smp trk's as i find them very comfy and forgiving

Saddles tend to come in 3 or 4 basic shapes. Flat, curved, scooped, or stubby.

Flat is generally used for racing / hardcore road applications, curved for less aggressive road type riding, scooped for more upright / off road, and stubby for TT type rides. Obviously there’s no black and white, but this is pretty much how it works.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BITD riders swapped the same saddle from bike to bike (and from team to team)... sometimes people would drop a bike off at the shop for some work and take the saddle off to use on their other bike.
Which IMO only works if the bikes have a reasonably similar riding position. I've very different saddles on different bikes.

Top Bottom