Quad lock waterproof case, outfront mount, phone and app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a tight northerner, looking to get GPS maps and turn by turn directions sub £100.

Considering the use of a quad lock iPhone case in an outfront mount using OSMands for free maps and directions. I would carry a battery bank for charging on longer rides.

Anyone do similar? How do you find it?

I am a tight northerner, looking to get GPS maps and turn by turn directions sub £100.

Considering the use of a quad lock iPhone case in an outfront mount using OSMands for free maps and directions. I would carry a battery bank for charging on longer rides.

Anyone do similar? How do you find it?
I do that. I bought a charging case which gives me 1.5 charges so around 8 hours. I download the map in advance (I use rwgps) and put the phone in airplane mode to preserve battery life. The quad lock had some sticker that was supposed to hold it but I didn't think it was strong enough so I superglued it instead. Had over a thousand miles without issue.

Tim Hall

Are you using an iPhone in your IPhone case? I don't think (but I could be wrong) that the Apple flavour of OSMand does navigation.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
From a practical view point, I use the "Topeak " Phone mount in conjunction with an old I-Phone 4s as a gps unit ,The phone mount bolt replaces the head stem bolt and is ultra secure and well constructed, Probably pick one up on E-Bay for £10 - 15 or so

Melv

That's the exact set-up I have. Frankly I wouldn't change it for anything. I use Ride With GPS for navigation on an Iphone 7 plus. The maps and guidance are miles better than anything on a Garmin/Wahoo/anyothercomputer and I have never had any technical issues with it ever. The Quad-Lock is really good, very expensive for a few bits of plastic but it works really well. The only downside to a garmin-type setup is obviously the battery life. I can normally do about 1km on 1% of battery life so anything more than about 80km (or if I haven't bothered to charge my phone) I have to take an external battery. I have an Anker one which fits comfortably in my back pocket and has got me through a 300km audax with charge to spare. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I'll happily suffer having to carry a battery for the other advantages but I accept it may be a hassle for some people.

Whilst modern flagship phones are mostly water resistant these days, you still need to ensure you don't get water ingress in your ports (which usually aren't waterproof). So find a way to shield your battery pack/ports from rain and roadspray.

I bought a quadlock from amazon warehouse deals, the box has been opened but otherwise perfect condition and saved a small fortune on otherwise expensive mounting system. I really like the mount, but the case from my S8+ isn't as nice as my spigen. Still, ok to swap into occasionally. Bit annoying for daily use.

That's the exact set-up I have. Frankly I wouldn't change it for anything. I use Ride With GPS for navigation on an Iphone 7 plus. The maps and guidance are miles better than anything on a Garmin/Wahoo/anyothercomputer and I have never had any technical issues with it ever. The Quad-Lock is really good, very expensive for a few bits of plastic but it works really well. The only downside to a garmin-type setup is obviously the battery life. I can normally do about 1km on 1% of battery life so anything more than about 80km (or if I haven't bothered to charge my phone) I have to take an external battery. I have an Anker one which fits comfortably in my back pocket and has got me through a 300km audax with charge to spare. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I'll happily suffer having to carry a battery for the other advantages but I accept it may be a hassle for some people.
Use a charging case instead. When it gets low just press a button. I get an extra 1.5 charges.

Top Bottom