Quality Bath Taps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Anybody know of a brand of quality bath mixer taps? I've been using sites like Victoria Plumbing. They are cheap, but seem to have problems with them.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Grohe
Bristan

Screwfix have good prices and good reviews from tradesmen and diyers
https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/bathroom-taps/cat7310006

Chislenko

Veteran
You could get some Hansgrohe Taps and a Bora Cooker Hood!

bruce1530

Guru
I installed some B&Q ones 2 or 3 years ago. Not cheap, but my wife liked the look, and they seemed well made. But the chrome plating is poor, and I'm going to have to replace them. So NOT a recommendation....

Brains

Legendary Member
Bristan

You can close the thread now.

We bought Bristan 1901 taps for our new bathroom in 1993, we have just had the bathroom upgraded, and despite 28 years of London limescale deposits (dealt with by soaking the taps in lemon juice for 24hrs) we have refitted the original taps for the next 28 years

Brains

Legendary Member
I don't like mixer taps, sometimes difficult to find the correct cartridge when they start dripping.
I prefer the old fashioned taps with washers combining into a mixer pipe.
Washers are easy to replace.

Mike
Separate bath taps are a uniquely British (ex empire) thing.
The rest of the world uses mixer taps.
I have individual taps on baths in rental properties (because of the washer issue) and every time I get a comment from tenants of 'how quaint'

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
In the end, went for cheap rather than "quality". A set from Victorian Plumbing for £56 delivered. Very simple and straight forward design, easy to fit and works well.

Replacing a much more ornate and traditional set, but the diverter valve never worked smoothly.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We are in London, a hard water area. I used an Ideal Standard chrome bath mixer tap when I did the bathroom in 1998. It's still functioning perfectly and the plating is as good as new. I bought a new cartridge for it about ten years ago but found that the problem was some polystyrene bits from the cold tank in the loft that had bunged the tap up. The replacement cartridge has never been installed.

BTW, some people give Ideal Standard bad reviews. It was a long time ago and manufacturing quality changes over time, but we have been very happy. The best bit feature of our particular tap is that you can operate the tap with the heel of your foot while still lying in the bath!

Top Bottom