Query about standover height sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Strangely, my inside leg measures to 69cm, which is just over 27'' (note that I measured this bare footed, starting from the bottom of my foot).

How comes you're finding the reach on the 19'' isn't as good?
I'm getting a little stiffer though I still prefer the geometry of that bike but it's less upright position means that sometimes my back complains.

JMAG

Über Member
Standover height could be an issue if either of your wheels (or both) are raised on uneven ground or a kerb perhaps. On my commute along towpaths there are some heavily trafficked junctions/barriers that have depressions in the ground. If anyone was to stop with one or both wheels on a high point they might struggle to steady themselves.

I'm 5'11" and just bought a 22.5" Trek FX which fits me great with 5" of visible seatpost because I have longer than average legs. A workmate who also rides to work tried my bike out and found it too big and he's 6'1". I've seen 2 boxers of similar height and weight yet one had a 6" reach advantage over the other? We're all built differently and as long as you feel you have control over the bike at standover, go with whatever feels comfortable to you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm 5'11" and just bought a 22.5" Trek FX which fits me great with 5" of visible seatpost because I have longer than average legs.

I'm the same height as you and take an 18", or at most a 19", which illustrates your point.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
When riding the bikes of yesteryear that didn't have sloping crossbars, I managed to squash my wedding tackle enough times during emergency stops that I regarded the arrival of the new breed of MTBs and hybrids, with their generous 'nut' clearance top tubes, as a gift from the cycling gods.

Top Bottom