Question About Children's Bike Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I have an 8 year old grand nephew that I am pretty close to. I only get to see him briefly once or twice a month though. I did not buy his first bike but I picked it out. A Mongoose Boys' Motivator 20 in Bike. I also taught him how to ride a bike.

I feel kind of bad though, I didn't expect that the brake pads would wear down so quick. They need to be replaced. The bike doesn't have a pedal brake either. Front and back are both hand brakes.

They are factory pads on a very inexpensive bike but can I expect all of these type pads wear down quickly or are there a decent set of budget pads that I should check out? Replacing the brakes with disc brakes would be almost as much as the bike.

Suggestions?

20435535?$pdp-mobile-gallery-ng$.jpg

20435534?$pdp-mobile-gallery-ng$.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
For me brake pads on V Brakes last ages, I’m surprised they have worn so quickly.
Are you sure they don’t just need some adjustment as cables do stretch (a photo of the pads would be good).
If buying new then I’d look at the cheaper options, I’ve always found Tektro or Clarks to be fine.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You don't say how long they've been in use but i wouldn't expect the original factory pads to wear quickly on a childs bike, they only tend to be used lightly. I agree with Spiderweb that they likely just need adjusting after bedding in if they're as new as your post suggests.

They're a consumable item though and will need replacing eventually (maybe once a year, depending on use), basic brake blocks are no more than about 5 dollars per pair and that's all you need.

C R

Guru
As above, surprised that the brake pads would wear so quickly. Our three children all used the same 20 in bike as their first bike with gears, over a six year period in all, and it is still in its first set of pads. Might be worth a check to see why they've worn, dragging on the rim, perhaps?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the bike was bought from a super store, mail order or shopping mall rather than a bike shop as is usual with cheaper bikes it was likely not correctly adjusted from the start. This is the most probably the cause. Check and adjust them correctly when you fit the new pads.
Might be worth fitting new cables too and applying grease for better operation.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate that! The bike was purchased 5-6 months ago. I did manage to get a second set of front and back pads sent free of charge to me by Mongoose (really good customer service). I think it sounds like the best thing to do is take the bike with me when we are together for Christmas and then drop it off with Senoia Bicycle shop and let them give it a proper adjustment. I know for a fact that they are really busy though. I hope the turn around won't be too long. I would do it myself but like I said I don't know the right way to adjust those brakes. I am also probably the reason they are in the shape they are in. They weren't adjusted at all from the store when he got the bike and I tried to adjust they. Looks like I screwed that up! :rolleyes:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
well you don't need the 3rd hand tool, pliers and an allen key work just as well, but if you have watched that and still screwed it up, maybe you're right:laugh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate that! The bike was purchased 5-6 months ago. I did manage to get a second set of front and back pads sent free of charge to me by Mongoose (really good customer service). I think it sounds like the best thing to do is take the bike with me when we are together for Christmas and then drop it off with Senoia Bicycle shop and let them give it a proper adjustment. I know for a fact that they are really busy though. I hope the turn around won't be too long. I would do it myself but like I said I don't know the right way to adjust those brakes. I am also probably the reason they are in the shape they are in. They weren't adjusted at all from the store when he got the bike and I tried to adjust they. Looks like I screwed that up! :rolleyes:
I'd struggle to get through a pair of pads in 5-6 months, even if I was using it for my daily commute and trying to beat my PB every day. For a kids bike, that sounds very dodgy.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

well you don't need the 3rd hand tool, pliers and an allen key work just as well, but if you have watched that and still screwed it up, maybe you're right:laugh:

I may give it a shot when I get the bike home with me before taking it to the shop... I'll know then. I'm actually pretty handy other wise :laugh:

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I should also ask if it is a bad idea to apply a rubber conditioner on brake pads? I don't have the bike with me to show photos but the pads are not gone/worn down completely. The rear pads are wearing down more on one side than the othe and they do make contact with the rim, they just don't stop the bike.

Top Bottom