Question about gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
Conversion to a triple is expensive. I would consider staying with the double, and spending money on lighter gear instead. Specialites TA do a 33t chainwheel for 110 mm bcd, and that is the smallest there is. At the rear, your existing rear derailleur will probably cope with the new 10 speed 12-30t cassette (adjust the B screw, and perhaps even fit a longer one). Unless you are very fit this is less than ideal for fully loaded touring, but it will do for light loads. Do not forget that the rest of your bike is not really up to fully loaded touring either. So go for a maximum of 10-12 kg, and forget about it if you are really very heavy.
From what I understand 10 speed road shifters and 10 speed mtb cassetes can be combined, if you use the right kind of 9 speed rear derailleur. Unfortunately I don't remember which one. That would allow a 36t cassette.
Willem

Indeed so. 1:1 isn't ideal as a lowest gear for loaded touring, you could do with something lower, but let's work with what we have. It's a damn site better than 34:25 anyhow.

Me and Mrs D both run a 26/36/46 x 12-27 set up (so almost 1:1 lowest) and it's been fine in the Alps and on short steep UK climbs. Bikes are pretty heavy duty (Thorn Sherpa's) and weigh about 15kg with me carrying about 20kg of gear and 10kg on her's.

OP
OP
J

Jmenorton

Do not forget that the rest of your bike is not really up to fully loaded touring either.
How so? what other problems could i run into concerning the bike, only using rear paniers. Just received my panniers, Altua Arran 46, test fitted them pushed as far forward as i could and still have plenty of heal space (61cm frame). Im just under 12stone so not very heavy. Could the rear wheel be an issue? Not much info about the wheelset, Xtreme Crosswheels, Built for cyclocross, so they should be fairly strong?

It amazes me how you touring folks go the distances you do laden down. Seen quite a few tourers cycle by today with front and back panniers bulging. It looked hard work on the flat and they had a nice long climb coming up. You all must be very tired :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It amazes me how you touring folks go the distances you do laden down. Seen quite a few tourers cycle by today with front and back panniers bulging. It looked hard work on the flat and they had a nice long climb coming up. You all must be very tired :smile:
tired but happy:thumbsup:

doog

Hi, the bike i plan to do some touring on currently has a 46/36t chainring and 12-25t cassete, im i right in thinking this is too high for loaded touring? i will be crossing the Pyrenees at some point. Also would it be as simple as swapping the inner chainring, its a Shimano CX50 chainset with 110mm bolt spacing.
The tour wont be untill next summer, so im hoping to be fitter then.

try this and put in gear inches under gear units http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

For big mountains 20 gear inches or below will get you up most inclines with your load

OP
OP
J

Jmenorton

try this and put in gear inches under gear units http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

For big mountains 20 gear inches or below will get you up most inclines with your load
hm, a 33/36 gives me 24.5, i reckon that'll do, it will have to. Jesus my current lowest is 35.

Top Bottom