Question for Mac (handlebars)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I need to change my bars on my Evans MTB. at present they are straights but I need to get more of an upright position, I saw these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Modolo-Modolo-Dumbo-Multi-Position-Hybrid-Bars--Black-18737.htm but they are only around 22mm and my exisitng bars are 24, any ideas? I can`t easily change my stem(old style) because my front brake cable goes right through the stem.Also this is a converted E bike and the throttle is for a 24mm.

I quite like that kind of shape where the bars return back towards you so that you can lift them and get them more or less right. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dave

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hmmm, you normally have:-

2 tubing sizes - MTB or Hybrid = 22.2mm and Road/drops/some moustache = 23.8mm

Clamp sizes are generally 25.4mm MTB, 26mm Road and 31.8mm new oversize - there are other, more obscure sizes but this generally covers it

Most flat bar controls, including twist shifter, fit on 22.2mm tubing, it only widens to 24mm as it nears the clamp bulge in the middle. For example, crosstop levers clamp around 24mm.

To be honest you can shim out for controls anyway, they don't need to be clamped supertight. It's going the other way, smaller clamp v large tubing, that causes the issues.

But if I was going for trekking, multiposition style bars then I'd not look at the Modolo. Idea looks great but my initial enthusiasm for them was tempered by negative reviews I read. In the £15-20 range there's several butterfly/trekking bar options, I'd try them first. I have the BBB Multibar from Dotbike and they've been excellent.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
Hmmm, you normally have:-

2 tubing sizes - MTB or Hybrid = 22.2mm and Road/drops/some moustache = 23.8mm

Clamp sizes are generally 25.4mm MTB, 26mm Road and 31.8mm new oversize - there are other, more obscure sizes but this generally covers it

Most flat bar controls, including twist shifter, fit on 22.2mm tubing, it only widens to 24mm as it nears the clamp bulge in the middle. For example, crosstop levers clamp around 24mm.

To be honest you can shim out for controls anyway, they don't need to be clamped supertight. It's going the other way, smaller clamp v large tubing, that causes the issues.

But if I was going for trekking, multiposition style bars then I'd not look at the Modolo. Idea looks great but my initial enthusiasm for them was tempered by negative reviews I read. In the £15-20 range there's several butterfly/trekking bar options, I'd try them first. I have the BBB Multibar from Dotbike and they've been excellent.

Mac

I just dug out a pair of bar ends, they fit the bars ok and instead of being short stubby ones they are going towards L shape (When fitted to the handlebars they comeoff at about 20 degrees for about 5" and then bend out at about 45 degrees for about 4". They certainly bring the riding position up and back towards me. I`ll move my gear and try them.

One more question Mac, are they supposed to come back away from the handlebars and turn out or turn in?

Thanks

Dave

MacB

I have long l-bend bar ends as well, to be honest you can fit them and orientate them any way you like. I actually have some inboard of the grip position to give a narrower more stretched out position.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
I have long l-bend bar ends as well, to be honest you can fit them and orientate them any way you like. I actually have some inboard of the grip position to give a narrower more stretched out position.

Thanks Mac, I`ll have a play around with them and let you know how it goes

Dave

MacB

Old timer said:
Mac

A couple of images of the bar ends.
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/bar_ends

Excellent, they will work fine in that position, same bar ends as I have. You can fit foam tubular grips over them, I put on the BBB Foam tubes cut to size, much comfier. But if you find that you prefer your hands in that position then it may be an idea to get a multibar so that you can have the controls where your hands are.

MacB

Dave, this may be of interest, I just took 3 photos of my latest bar setup on the Giant, those are Titec L Bend bar ends I'm using, with the foam grips. There's a fair bit of detail if you click on any one of the three pictures.....Al

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37729119@N08/sets/72157622982864962/detail/

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
Dave, this may be of interest, I just took 3 photos of my latest bar setup on the Giant, those are Titec L Bend bar ends I'm using, with the foam grips. There's a fair bit of detail if you click on any one of the three pictures.....Al

Nice set up Mac.(you really do like your bars:biggrin: I`ll look at the foam grips, they will be better than bare metal. I did think about that kind of bars but I have to incorporate a twist throttle. So! cruising is great with the bar ends and easy to get back onto the brakes. I`ve got a cramp buster throttle gripper on it`s way and I reckon with a bit of fiddling I can get it into a position where my fingers can reach it from the bar ends.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:

Mac
Just fitted some foam rubber to the bar ends:ohmy: I`m lucky, I have strong hands. There must be a knack to it?
Does make all the difference though.

Top Bottom