Question for those 5 day a week + commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
(Newbie alert!). Having just done a 45 mile commute (into London from the "wrong" side of the North Downs!) for the first time, and only restarted cycling earlier this year after 15+ years away, the idea of doing that more than twice a week makes me feel weak! Or, weaker than I do now, if that's possible!

Friday legs until Monday, methinks!

Hi Michael and welcome to CycleChat.
What is the route you will be taking?
Perhaps we can suggest an easier and/or quicker route for you.

defy-one

Tommorow i going into London by bike. It's 24 miles each way. If i get tired,my bailout plan is to lock her up at Paddington on the way home and catch the train.
So tempted to take the roadster,but not sure the customer will let me lock her up in their loading bay,and i won't be able to bail :eek:

bushy

• 75 miles a day, 5 days a week = 375 miles a week, 19,500 miles a year.
  • Doing this since last september = 10 months = 42 weeks = 375 x 42 = 15,750 miles.
  • You say you have ridden 5,000 miles on your Carrera Subway since last september.
Something doesn't add up?
This is what it would've added up to hence moving closer to work
I had an ageing road bike when I was doing that which I used most of the time.
Last september was after I'd moved and after the ageing roadbike had past the point of no return. It was also a bit small for me since i'd had it since I was a kid!

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

• 75 miles a day, 5 days a week = 375 miles a week, 19,500 miles a year.
  • Doing this since last september = 10 months = 42 weeks = 375 x 42 = 15,750 miles.
  • You say you have ridden 5,000 miles on your Carrera Subway since last september.
Something doesn't add up?

Wow never actualy sat down and added it up before but mines

44 miles a day 5 days a week = 220 miles a week - 11,440 in 52 weeks so probably around 11k miles a year :ohmy:

MichaelO

Veteran
So you have just ridden into work once so far as you say you are going to do it twice a week if you can?

Is this a commute or just a one off ride?

Commuting is pretty much every day travelling to and from one's daily work. If you have not done much or any cycling for 15 years it would be surprising if you could do more than just a one off ride with a good few days rest to recover before attempting it again. Is your ride hilly? How long did it take you?

I’m not sure I can start doing this every day from the off – my challenge is to get to that over time. And it’s definitely not a one off – how quickly I move from once/twice a week to more will depend on how I feel. I work from home once a week, so 4 days is my goal ;)
I’m travelling from Merstham/Redhill area to the City – so (on the way in) it’s up for the first few miles & then (generally) down hill all the way from there. Coming back is obviously a long drag most of the way back.

As for route – I took a while looking into this. Going in yesterday I know I took the hilly option, but quieter route, but I followed the A23 (yuck!) on the way back. Have a look here (don’t laugh at either the speeds or the couple of times I needed to reroute when I took a wrong turn!!)

http://app.strava.com/rides/13845333
http://app.strava.com/rides/13845407

Feel fine this morning – I did some (light) training ahead of doing the L2B earlier in the year, so I’m not starting from absolute scratch, but I’m certainly not the fittest person out there!

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

I’m not sure I can start doing this every day from the off – my challenge is to get to that over time. And it’s definitely not a one off – how quickly I move from once/twice a week to more will depend on how I feel. I work from home once a week, so 4 days is my goal ;)
I’m travelling from Merstham/Redhill area to the City – so (on the way in) it’s up for the first few miles & then (generally) down hill all the way from there. Coming back is obviously a long drag most of the way back.

As for route – I took a while looking into this. Going in yesterday I know I took the hilly option, but quieter route, but I followed the A23 (yuck!) on the way back. Have a look here (don’t laugh at either the speeds or the couple of times I needed to reroute when I took a wrong turn!!)

Feel fine this morning – I did some (light) training ahead of doing the L2B earlier in the year, so I’m not starting from absolute scratch, but I’m certainly not the fittest person out there!
oo when do you leave? happy to help you commute i take the direct route ( a23) up to the city and on to high holborn..

MichaelO

Veteran
I left just after 6am yesterday (wasn't sure how long it would take!) - but gave me enough time to shower & change at work and still be at my desk by 8.20ish. I saw your thread on being disappointed with 18mph average up the A23 - I may need to build up my pace first :smile: But thanks for the offer - hoping to do it again on Monday & Wednesday next week (weather looks good too!)

subaqua

What’s the point

44 miles a day 5 days a week = 220 miles a week - 11,440 in 52 weeks so probably around 11k miles a year :ohmy:

its always good to do that calc. I like revsiting it when i have had a bad day and doing the " how much have i saved by not using train/tube/bus as well. drop in the not smoking calc and i am positively dripping money.

which leaves one question. Where the fecking hell is all this money !!!!!! cos i is skint.

18 x5 =90 miles a week x 47 weeks ( I ride more on holiday bu thats not commuting miles !!) = 4230 miles commuting

OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

totally agree with you my train ticket for the month is £250 since i starterd i thought brill i could save 200 a month ( saving for a depoisit to move) and keep £50 a month in a seperat account for bike repairs running cost ( tyres tubes patches etc) and emergancy train trips ( injury sickness bike services beyond me etc) but i not done any of this for the last 8 months ! and im still as broke !

400bhp

Guru

Remember to take off holidays/bank holidays

I work off 225 ish days a year (5 weeks hols plus bank hols)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

You could cut quite a bit of distance if you just followed the A23. It's not that bad (ok at points it is a pain). You could also miss the hill at purley if you go towards croydon on the A235, a mile or so longer but a lot less hilly (you rejoin at thornton heath ponds)

(Newbie alert!). Having just done a 45 mile commute (into London from the "wrong" side of the North Downs!) for the first time, and only restarted cycling earlier this year after 15+ years away, the idea of doing that more than twice a week makes me feel weak! Or, weaker than I do now, if that's possible!

Friday legs until Monday, methinks!
:welcome: chapeau!

I've always tried to eat properly, rehydrate and take recovery drinks. Since starting nights a few months ago, I have a SIS night time drink - used to be called nocte - before going to bed. Initially it was to try and make sure I got proper sleep, but it seems to iron out the kinks in muscles wonderfully.

mangid

Guru
how do you fell at the end of your commuter week? how do you recover and fit in "rest" days?

i commute 5 days a week 44 miles a day and find at the end of it i feel week and achy should the 2 days at the weekend be enough? 2 reason why i dont have a "rest day" wenesday are 1 cant afford to really 9 could be budgets are tight one main reason i cycle and 2 i HATE the train and tube.

tips to recover faster on the weekends please.. or do i have to lump a rest day on the train due to the distance?

I'm currently doing 40 in, sometimes 20+ in the evenings, and get out at the weekend for maybe 100+. I do 'rest' on Friday, and cycle the direct way to work.

Do you always do the same route/distance? It might sound perverse, but have you thought of going further once or twice a week (especially now summer has arrived)? I'm no real expert, but if you push yourself a little harder, what used to seem hard no longer is.

Occasionally ache and feel tired, but that would be after really pushing myself on a ride.

Top Bottom