Question on bar end levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok on my dawes galaxy there are bar end levers. The right hand set clicks on each position as I move through the rear cogs...but the left had (Big front cogs) doesnt click and I have to guess where the 'mark' is...no big deal as I manage ok, but I just wondered if they should be set up to click in th esame way that those on the right hand side do...or is that not possible?:smile::tongue:

There's no real need for the left hand lever to index as it only deals with three cogs. To be honest, I prefer friction (ie non indexed) levers as it's easier to fine tune the position of the derailleur.

Tynan

Veteran
true

I remember friction back in the day and having no problem with it at all

can't say the same for indexed gears

If you've got 8, 9, 10 cogs at the back, the gaps between them are small and you're switching between pretty frequently, indexing is great.

I suspect with STI indexed gears on the bars we change far more than we used to with downtube friction shifters - you'd just adjust your cadence a bit if the road went slightly more up and down and only change gear if you were really forced to.

But if you've only got two at the front (a double), it's either one or the other so I don't see any point in indexing the front shifter.

On a triple there's three, but using friction allows you to fine-tune it perfectly to avoid chainrub.

domtyler

Über Member
I've got ten speed dura ace bar end shifters and only the rear is indexed. Front is friction only. Rear indexing can be turned off if required.

Front STI levers, when set up correctly can be fine-tuned in each of the chainring positions.

There is a half-click down from each full position, which just moves the derailleur enough to clear the chain on the low end of the block if needs be. Usually it isn;t needed, but if you are pushing a hard climb and the frame is flexing, it is nice to give it that half-click and stop the rub.

bonj2

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Front STI levers, when set up correctly can be fine-tuned in each of the chainring positions.

can they - how? are you on about the shitters having four positions instead of 3, so you can trim it in the middle one?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes, but the OP has bar end shifters, and the front shift isn't indexed. He was just asking if that was normal. And yes, it is.

Move along, nothing to see here.

bonj said:
can they - how? are you on about the shitters having four positions instead of 3, so you can trim it in the middle one?

I think we have the same shifters - 2007 Tiagra?

I'm running a tripple, and here is what I've got... Where natural position is where the cage travels to when you shift.

Granny ring
Natural position
1/2 click up - allows use of smaller rear gears

Middle ring
Natural position
1/2 click down - trims out rubbing caused by frame flex in 39/23 and 39/21

Big ring
Natural position
1/2 click down - trims out 50/19 50/17

Zoiders

I think our friends Dawes may well have an indexed front shifter and he has inadvertantly flicked the indexing off

The best front shifter ever was the suntour micro adjust as found on 70s and 80s Raleighs and Carltons

Indexed only in one direction, with lots and lots of tiny steps, the most acurate shifter available

Top Bottom