Question re disc brake mounts on sus forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Been away from mountain biking for a while, but recently have been attracted back. So I've browsed a couple of magazines to see whats what, and MTBR a couple of months ago had some forks on test.

What surprised me was

1) No manitou on test, are they not imported into the UK anymore?

2) Nearly all the forks (excpet a RockShox) used post-type mounts, and the international standard mount seems to have died out. Why?

I've always tended to use Manitou, so am quite used to the post mount, and always seemed to recall from a few yeasr ago that the mags didn't seem to like post mounts, that IS mounts were the way to go. So what changed????

GilesM

Legendary Member
No idea about Manitou forks.

As far as the post mount goes, the main reason I can see is that setting up the brake position is easier, the IS mount needs a selection of spacers to centre the disk in the caliper, the post allows some left to right movement in the caliper position.

Others could well know other reasons.

02GF74

Über Member
shims is good albeit a bit fiddly but once done, there caliper is never gonna move, unlike with the post type and slotted holes that rely on the bolt being done up tight and not unding .... actually the same could happen with IS so probably a ruse by fork manufacturers to use less metal.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

Agree that set up on the post mount is easier, without the need to shim, didn't Avids tend to have a much easier set up on post mounts that got really fiddly on IS mounts?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

Thats so typical isn't it!!!

Answered my own questions by re-reading the MBR again, they do mention Manitou forks and the 2010 model range at a trade show, and that RockShox are going to post mounts for 2010 as well.

Top Bottom