Questions for Local Election Candidates & PCC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Do you think that it was right that Rishi Sunak tried to smooth the way for a company related to David Cameron to obtain special emergency loans that it was not entitled to?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For county councillor candidates, I think questions might include:

Do you support spending £20 per person of the transport budget on cycling and walking projects to reduce pollution and improve health?

Do you support spending £2m starting to implement active travel plans around King's Lynn before splurging another £200m on Norwich's third ring road?

Will you implement the "Gear Change" transport policy?

Last edited:

mjr

Do you think that it was right that Rishi Sunak tried to smooth the way for a company related to David Cameron to obtain special emergency loans that it was not entitled to?
Is Sunak standing for your county council, then?

As this is a cycling forum - well mostly - maybe we should be asking them about active travel policies - especially improving cycling infrastructure

round here they seem to have made some good efforts with cycle lanes and the like.
But normally spoiled by small problems - like shared path but not actual indication that a shared path is starting (Silver Jubilee Bridge I looking at you here!!!)
or cycle lanes that end with a sign 10 foot up in the air - after an exit ramp with no sign and 30 yards before the sign!
or cycle paths that just fizzle out onto a pavement at some point - with no indications

small things - buta few signs and a couple of tins of paint would improve a lot of stuff!
so - maybe appoint someone who cycles to do a survey (on a bike!!) and also check out plans before they are implemented

mjr

No, but I would like to know my local councillors opinion on the sleazy nature of the current Government.
You probably won't find it that way: the Con will probably be vague, while all the other parties condemn him and an Ind could do anything. It might be better to ask what they will do to remove corruption from county/shire hall/offices/buildings/Castle Hill/Endeavour House, and possibly stop the next corrupt MP rising.

icowden

Veteran
No point in questions in our area.

We have a Labour candidate (bless! - it's good to have that level of optimism in Surrey), a lib-dem, A tory and an independent.
The Lib Dem is invisible. No internet presence at all. The Tory candidate can't decide where he lives and seem to keep running for different wards.
The independent is a former Tory, has been in post for many years and does a good job, responds quickly to e-mails and is popular locally.

I wonder which will win?

As usual the main parties will make a big thing of which councils go blue and which red, seemingly unaware that your local council has sod all to do with central government.

mjr

No point in questions in our area.
Even there, there is point in questions. You might extract a commitment from the shoo-in, all of the party candidates might ask their colleagues about it and independents are often community activists and you might set them thinking.

I've also been thinking more and rewritten my first question to include mention of "20 minute neighbourhoods" https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blo...-community/what-is-a-20-minute-neighbourhood/ - I also suggest looking at Sustrans's manifestos. I think they're mediocre at managing the NCN but they are being pretty good at publishing support materials for this set of elections.

As usual the main parties will make a big thing of which councils go blue and which red, seemingly unaware that your local council has sod all to do with central government.
Yes, that is a tragedy of local government and our shoot civic education systems. Local issues often make some difference, and sometimes they're even relevant local issues (=within the power of the layer holding elections), but it's usually just a modifier on the national party fortunes. At least "police and crime commissioner" does what it says on the tin. I sometimes wonder if "county council" should be rebranded to "social care, highways and education council" or all local government services should have to be branded "PLACE council SERVICE".

Top Bottom