Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Wool isn't 'self-cleaning' at all. Ever seen a sheep's bum, close up? Especially after a flush of spring grass LOL!

HOWEVER - natural, even scoured, wool (BUT NOT SUPERWASH WOOL!) has several properties that give it a certain degree of stain resistance together with some anti-bacterial and anti-microbial action.
Basically, wool has a microscopically thin waxy coating, to the individual fibres, which contains fatty acids that inhibit the growth of mould (such as mildew) and bacteria. This same coating also repels water that is needed for mould and mildew to grow. As the growth of - especially - bacteria - is inhibited, the garment will still smell fresh after the sort of wear pattern which would make a synthetic garment smell really bad. Also the natural anti-bacterial coating prevents body bacteria from entering deep into the fibres and producing their own durable stink, which is all too common with synthetic 'thermal' fabrics.

As this coating repels water, it also repels many of the liquids which cause stains, which make such stains easier to clean off, by wipin or rinsing. In addition, the microscopically-scaly surface of wool fibres block more solid dirt and stains from being absorbed as particles sit on top of the fibres which means they are much easier to remove.

As if that weren't enough, wool has a natural elasticity which far outlasts that of many other fibres. This natural elasticity means that wool will retain the shape of the item it's been made up into, and as we all know, a garment which is 'in shape' looks better (and by implication, cleaner and fresher) than one which is baggy and out-of-shape.

I used to wear synthetic Helly Hansen long sleeved running tops. There’s a reason we called them “ smelly hellys “
Merino tops are so much better, I’ve worn one continuously for several days doing strenuous stuff and they’ve kept me warm with no pong😎

I used to wear synthetic Helly Hansen long sleeved running tops. There’s a reason we called them “ smelly hellys “
Merino tops are so much better, I’ve worn one continuously for several days doing strenuous stuff and they’ve kept me warm with no pong😎

It's the micrococci from your skin biota that seem to cause the smelly problems with synthetics; the micrococci have the ability to thrive in the presence of, and actually in and on polyester, and their known ability to produce specific enzymes is enhanced by polyester. This enzymatic process transforms certain fatty acids, hormones and amino acids from your skin into smaller and more volatile compounds which have the typical stink. These compounds are then absorbed deep into the fibres and are very durable. The same process simply does not happen in the same way with other fibres.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's the micrococci from your skin biota that seem to cause the smelly problems with synthetics; the micrococci have the ability to thrive in the presence of, and actually in and on polyester, and their known ability to produce specific enzymes is enhanced by polyester. This enzymatic process transforms certain fatty acids, hormones and amino acids from your skin into smaller and more volatile compounds which have the typical stink. These compounds are then absorbed deep into the fibres and are very durable. The same process simply does not happen in the same way with other fibres.

that explains why my feet stopped being the stinkiest thing on earth once i started wearing cotton socks instead of polyester 'sports' things.

that explains why my feet stopped being the stinkiest thing on earth once i started wearing cotton socks instead of polyester 'sports' things.

Yep, the bacteria simply don't perform the enzymatic process as well in any fabric other than polyester, nor do other fabrics 'hold on to' the volatile organics (the stinky chemicals) as tightly - and of course you can give cotton a much hotter wash, and/or use harsher cleaning agents such as bleach or washing soda, which you can't do with polyester, and which effectively kill off lurking bacteria.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A chip shop I go to make a fuss (the owner, not the shop obviously:rolleyes:) over my mutt when I take him in. They usually give me a fish or a sausage that's been in the hot display for a while and dried up slightly, saying "here, take this for him (dog) to have". I tend to give him some, but eat most of it myself. :secret: Am I bad? :unsure:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Wool isn't 'self-cleaning' at all. Ever seen a sheep's bum, close up? Especially after a flush of spring grass LOL!

HOWEVER - natural, even scoured, wool (BUT NOT SUPERWASH WOOL!) has several properties that give it a certain degree of stain resistance together with some anti-bacterial and anti-microbial action.
Basically, wool has a microscopically thin waxy coating, to the individual fibres, which contains fatty acids that inhibit the growth of mould (such as mildew) and bacteria. This same coating also repels water that is needed for mould and mildew to grow. As the growth of - especially - bacteria - is inhibited, the garment will still smell fresh after the sort of wear pattern which would make a synthetic garment smell really bad. Also the natural anti-bacterial coating prevents body bacteria from entering deep into the fibres and producing their own durable stink, which is all too common with synthetic 'thermal' fabrics.

As this coating repels water, it also repels many of the liquids which cause stains, which make such stains easier to clean off, by wipin or rinsing. In addition, the microscopically-scaly surface of wool fibres block more solid dirt and stains from being absorbed as particles sit on top of the fibres which means they are much easier to remove.

As if that weren't enough, wool has a natural elasticity which far outlasts that of many other fibres. This natural elasticity means that wool will retain the shape of the item it's been made up into, and as we all know, a garment which is 'in shape' looks better (and by implication, cleaner and fresher) than one which is baggy and out-of-shape.
Yes, and often the only way to clear it is to cut the wool off with a decent pair of large, sharp, scissors. Attempting to "wash it off" takes time, and plenty of water.

You can tell the worst offenders by their bare backsides.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've this on my mind for almost 10 minutes when I wrote this;

Can a ball fall over ?
Yes, if it's a rugby ball in a strong wind, on one of those things used for conversions.:okay:

1664841623364.png

icowden

Veteran
Can a ball fall over ?
Depends on the definitions used. If it is a spherical ball then no. Falling over by definition is losing balance to move from ones usual position to another position. As a spherical ball has no balance point and is the same in the vertical and the horizontal it cannot fall over as there is no "over".

As Accy pointed out, if your ball is not spherical then it's a whole other topic.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A chip shop I go to make a fuss (the owner, not the shop obviously:rolleyes:) over my mutt when I take him in. They usually give me a fish or a sausage that's been in the hot display for a while and dried up slightly, saying "here, take this for him (dog) to have". I tend to give him some, but eat most of it myself. :secret: Am I bad? :unsure:

My suggestion is......
Ask your dog "do you mind if I eat eg 70% of this"? If he doesn't clearly answer "yes" then you are free to eat it.
No need to thank me^_^

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.

Yes, very, you will be tormented in hell by being made to sit at a table of dogs, all eating away while you have an empty bowl in front of you, every so often one of the dogs will put some of its food in the bowl, only for another dog to snatch it away.

Jameshow

Veteran
Why is a staw man argument not a hay man arguement??

Why is it swing and roundabouts but the slide is never included?!🤔😭🤔😭

Top Bottom