Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Always willing to learn, so I'd like to know if when ending a sentence with a question mark, or a exclamation mark, do you put a full stop after both, or not? I don't do, but wonder if I should. I think a ?. or a !. looks odd.🤔

No, you shouldn't put a full stop after them. They act as a stopper.

Which is why it looks "odd" t you when you do, your subconscious is telling you it shouldn't be there.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No, you shouldn't put a full stop after them. They act as a stopper.

Which is why it looks "odd" t you when you do, your subconscious is telling you it shouldn't be there.

Now I Know!:okay:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Always willing to learn, so I'd like to know if when ending a sentence with a question mark, or a exclamation mark, do you put a full stop after both, or not? I don't do, but wonder if I should. I think a ?. or a !. looks odd.🤔
see those little full stops already included under the ? and ! :okay:

icowden

Veteran
When someone is explaining something to me and I have a look of boredom on my face, why doesn't the explainer shut up?
That's easy. Often, people who like to or are good at explaining things are neuro-diverse. We often find it difficult to read peoples faces / emotions and just assume that they will be as interested as we are in knowing the answer. It would never occur to me that if you had asked for an explanation of something, that you would not be interested in the full answer.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's easy. Often, people who like to or are good at explaining things are neuro-diverse. We often find it difficult to read peoples faces / emotions and just assume that they will be as interested as we are in knowing the answer. It would never occur to me that if you had asked for an explanation of something, that you would not be interested in the full answer.

Well, assuming I asked them to explain something to me... Sometimes people just explain stuff to me for, uhm, to show they know stuff.

But anyway, there's explaining with interest, and there's explaining like you're reading The News. The news... boring.

mustang1

Legendary Member
All these new bikes coming out that claim things like:
This bike is 7 watts faster.
This bike is more aero and therefore faster.
This bike is stiffer this clubs better.
This bike is all of the above combined.
And so on....

Ok, so in various bike races, those racers must be really eyeing up the latest bike which is 7W faster and thinking "wow,. I will really have to work harder because my competitor has that new faster bike".

Do any racers really think that?

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Do the advertisers on the Yesterday channel realise how utterly depressing they make the whole viewing experience? As far as I can see, they expect all viewers of their ads to be dead by the day’s end and are racing to see what money they can get out of me before the inevitable happens.

I was quite amused, though, by the cremation service plugging a 5 star Trustpilot review. I can only imagine one goes something like this: “I was very happy with the service provided by Incendobod and have absolutely no complaints or indeed any other observations to make whatsoever on anything that happened to me subsequently”.

The moral of this story is that watching daytime tv while I’m recovering from an operation is perhaps not the best thing to do.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The alternatives to ads flogging you funeral plans are in the channels that must have a slightly different demographic in that they are saturated with commercials wanting money to save ill treated animals. Nothing against that as such but it does get very wearying.

Plus one said that a cat had been thoughtlessly dumped which immediately made me wonder if any cat had been thoughtfully dumped to warrant the odd qualification. Cue sad music, picture of forlorn cat. 'This is Sam. He was thoughtfully dumped in the grounds of a cat food factory, next to a vets and a soft furnishings showroom. We need your money to get him out as he refuses to leave'.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've heard that 100 percent wool clothing is self cleaning due to it's 'natural properties'. Surely wool is only self cleansing when alive, as in on a sheep, not in for example a 30 year old tweed jacket? 🤔

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Well, assuming I asked them to explain something to me... Sometimes people just explain stuff to me for, uhm, to show they know stuff.

But anyway, there's explaining with interest, and there's explaining like you're reading The News. The news... boring.
one of my friends once explained to 'the table' how shadows work. Not Hank and friends, but actual shadows, from light. We just listened in silent bemusement.

MontyVeda

I've heard that 100 percent wool clothing is self cleaning due to it's 'natural properties'. Surely wool is only self cleansing when alive, as in on a sheep, not in for example a 30 year old tweed jacket? 🤔

I think wool (and hair) is 'dead' once it leaves the follicle, whether the thing it's on is alive or not

Wool isn't 'self-cleaning' at all. Ever seen a sheep's bum, close up? Especially after a flush of spring grass LOL!

HOWEVER - natural, even scoured, wool (BUT NOT SUPERWASH WOOL!) has several properties that give it a certain degree of stain resistance together with some anti-bacterial and anti-microbial action.
Basically, wool has a microscopically thin waxy coating, to the individual fibres, which contains fatty acids that inhibit the growth of mould (such as mildew) and bacteria. This same coating also repels water that is needed for mould and mildew to grow. As the growth of - especially - bacteria - is inhibited, the garment will still smell fresh after the sort of wear pattern which would make a synthetic garment smell really bad. Also the natural anti-bacterial coating prevents body bacteria from entering deep into the fibres and producing their own durable stink, which is all too common with synthetic 'thermal' fabrics.

As this coating repels water, it also repels many of the liquids which cause stains, which make such stains easier to clean off, by wipin or rinsing. In addition, the microscopically-scaly surface of wool fibres block more solid dirt and stains from being absorbed as particles sit on top of the fibres which means they are much easier to remove.

As if that weren't enough, wool has a natural elasticity which far outlasts that of many other fibres. This natural elasticity means that wool will retain the shape of the item it's been made up into, and as we all know, a garment which is 'in shape' looks better (and by implication, cleaner and fresher) than one which is baggy and out-of-shape.

Top Bottom