Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do we have free will, or is that an illusion?

I muuust type thiiiiis…

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What makes this one even worse is that it's in a supermarket so everyone's got a trolley stuck out in front of them as well. 😂

Ah, the old 'let's use my trolley as a weapon' thing! Some seem to think that trolleys are also there to make others move, or to be pushed very close to someone to make them move or walk faster. That or 'let's use my trolley to block someone from looking at the yellow sticker shelf, while I help myself'! 🧐

Chris S

Legendary Member
What's the point in covering a scooter with lights if they're not wired up?

vespa.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When people say they don't like those German cars with all their tech, and then they buy non German cars 10 years later with the same tech, how comes they don't complain about the tech in 10 years time?

There's a lot of tech which I actively don't want: automatic gearboxes, electric handbrakes, touch screens, dual whotsit clutches (whatever they are), and even semi sensible things like tyre pressure sensors can be an expensive later MOT failure if fitted so I would avoid such things. Ten years on, assuming petrol cars are still a thing, I may not have the choice even if I don't want all this shyte in my car

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a lot of tech which I actively don't want: automatic gearboxes, electric handbrakes, touch screens, dual whotsit clutches (whatever they are), and even semi sensible things like tyre pressure sensors can be an expensive later MOT failure if fitted so I would avoid such things. Ten years on, assuming petrol cars are still a thing, I may not have the choice even if I don't want all this shyte in my car

Ha. My colleague was on the phone to the
mechanic this morning asking why her car was telling her it had a flat tyre when clearly it didn't...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ha. My colleague was on the phone to the
mechanic this morning asking why her car was telling her it had a flat tyre when clearly it didn't...

It sounds like a cool feature, but (If what I've read is true) it's problematic MOT wise if they play up, and costly or nigh on uneconomic to fix in some cases. Fair enough if you just ignore them subsequently, but my understanding is that isn't "allowed"

Anti-lock brakes I think likely are worth it, though to be honest I'm less bothered for a car. For a (motor) bike, despite the parts being more exposed and hence prone to issues, being able to confidently grab a handful in emergency, is worth a lot. I've never had them operate on the bike, and am confident enough to "cadence brake" in the car, so whilst happy to have
them, am less fussed if they aren't fitted. An instantaneous lock up in the car is no big deal, but unless you're Barry Sheene, on a bike you are likely sliding along on your arse - if my pedal bike experience is any guide.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
It sounds like a cool feature, but (If what I've read is true) it's problematic MOT wise if they play up, and costly or nigh on uneconomic to fix in some cases. Fair enough if you just ignore them subsequently, but my understanding is that isn't "allowed"

Anti-lock brakes I think likely are worth it, though to be honest I'm less bothered for a car. For a bike, despite the parts being more exposed and hence prone to issues, being able to confidently grab a handful in emergency, is worth a lot. I've never had them operate on the bike, and am confident enough to "cadence brake" in the car, so whilst happy to have
them, am less fussed if they aren't fitted. An instantaneous lock up in the car is no big deal, but unless you're Barry Sheene, on a bike you are likely sliding along on your arse - if my pedal bike experience is any guide.

Yeah, I'd love to have ABS for my pedal bike. I wouldn't still be sore now from last week's "involuntary dismount".

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Out of interest, does the MoT test check that the tyre pressure indicator goes on briefly when the ignition is switched on, then goes off ?

If not, it shouldn't be too difficult to disable it entirely - after all, we managed for enough years without one ...

Gillstay

Über Member
Out of interest, does the MoT test check that the tyre pressure indicator goes on briefly when the ignition is switched on, then goes off ?

If not, it shouldn't be too difficult to disable it entirely - after all, we managed for enough years without one ...

I believe some are difficult to disable, so you have to keep buying new senders for the 4 wheels. I upped the pressures on an Audi as we were going to be a car full and it did not like it . So then rather than getting on with the journey we had get out the manual and work out how to get rid of the light. No one was impressed in that car.

Alex321

Veteran
I believe some are difficult to disable, so you have to keep buying new senders for the 4 wheels. I upped the pressures on an Audi as we were going to be a car full and it did not like it . So then rather than getting on with the journey we had get out the manual and work out how to get rid of the light. No one was impressed in that car.

Why did you have to get rid of the light? The car would still be perfectly driveable with the light on.

Alex321

Veteran
This is what the MOT manual says on themn:

Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

The inspection of the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is for M1 vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012.

The TPMS warning lamp (see diagram 3) can operate in many ways depending on the vehicle type. You must only reject vehicles if it’s clear that the lamp indicates a system malfunction and not simply indicating that one or more of the tyre pressures is low.

Diagram 3. Example of a TPMS warning lamp

Diagram_3_Example_of_a_TPMS_warning_lamp.png

Alex321

Veteran
You don't get rid off the light, you just reset the pressure sensor so that it knows the current tyre pressure is correct

Yu still don't "have to", you can just drive, with the light on.

It wouldn't seem worth resetting it to me, if you were only going to have that higher pressure for a short time.

Top Bottom