Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Yu still don't "have to", you can just drive, with the light on.

It wouldn't seem worth resetting it to me, if you were only going to have that higher pressure for a short time.

It's not rocket science, all you usually do is press the TPMS button & hold it down till the pressure is registered,it's takes seconds

Alex321

Veteran
It's not rocket science, all you usually do is press the TPMS button & hold it down till the pressure is registered,it's takes seconds

There's a TPMS button?

I don't think there is on either of our cars, both of which are 2015 cars so have TPMS.

On the micra it just lights up the one warning lamp, while on the insignia it tells you on the display which wheel, and what the current pressure is. But I have never seen any button on either which looks like it can reset the pressure it goes off at.

And the post I was responding to had said "So then rather than getting on with the journey we had get out the manual and work out how to get rid of the light. " - so clearly no obvious button to press.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that the law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only converted from one form of energy to another, does this prove reincarnation is not only possible but highly likely.

Punkawallah

Über Member
There's a TPMS button?

I don't think there is on either of our cars, both of which are 2015 cars so have TPMS.

On the micra it just lights up the one warning lamp, while on the insignia it tells you on the display which wheel, and what the current pressure is. But I have never seen any button on either which looks like it can reset the pressure it goes off at.

And the post I was responding to had said "So then rather than getting on with the journey we had get out the manual and work out how to get rid of the light. " - so clearly no obvious button to press.

The ‘tyre pressure management system’ warning beep sounded on my Mazda yesterday. I, too had to refer to the manual to find out why the ‘verschlingen’ machine was complaining. It seems I have to go into the onboard display to turn it off.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Given that the law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only converted from one form of energy to another, does this prove reincarnation is not only possible but highly likely.

The second law of thermodynamics states that energy is converted into more and more useless forms.

Punkawallah

Über Member
1. You might get an idea from how long they printed ‘the artist formerly known as Prince’.
2. There are some things that Man was not meant to know . . .

In Leeds this Friday, the last Friday before Christmas, it's known as Mad Friday where everyone goes out and gets wasted.

When did this start? Is it a thing in other places?🤔

Fastpedaller

It sounds like a cool feature, but (If what I've read is true) it's problematic MOT wise if they play up, and costly or nigh on uneconomic to fix in some cases. Fair enough if you just ignore them subsequently, but my understanding is that isn't "allowed"

Anti-lock brakes I think likely are worth it, though to be honest I'm less bothered for a car. For a (motor) bike, despite the parts being more exposed and hence prone to issues, being able to confidently grab a handful in emergency, is worth a lot. I've never had them operate on the bike, and am confident enough to "cadence brake" in the car, so whilst happy to have
them, am less fussed if they aren't fitted. An instantaneous lock up in the car is no big deal, but unless you're Barry Sheene, on a bike you are likely sliding along on your arse - if my pedal bike experience is any guide.

I was sceptical of TPMS until it became useful to us! It alerted us to a problem, and indeed one of the tyres was about 6psi less than the others. I pumped it up and reset the feature. A while later it came on again, so confirmation it wasn't a one-off. We were going to the main dealers anyway, so we asked them to look. It took some finding, but bubbly liquid eventually found a 3mm twist drill (which I recognised as mine :eek:). I must have dropped it on our driveway. So the system alerted us...... without it we would have probably not noticed before the tyre was VERY flat and ruined. As for ABS, I'm not sure I'd want it on a bike (pedal or motor). It's only functioned twice on our car, both times a couple of weeks ago outside our Daughter's house where a shaded area had black ice - When my Wife was driving she thought something major was falling off the car. When I was driving the next day, same place as I just dabbed the brake before pulling onto the drive it felt like the car was being shaken apart! because of the servo assistance, I suspect there is little opportunity to 'feather' the brake. I was only going about 3MPH and the brakes were cycling fast between OFF and ON (no half-measure). If this happened on a bike I can't imagine it would end well. If driving on soft snow, a good amount of stopping can occur if the brakes are applied, the wheels lock and a wedge of snow grows in front and stops the car.... with ABS I suspect the car would cease braking, brake again etc and end up travelling a lot further before coming to a halt. I'd like the opportunity to safely try it out.

Fastpedaller

As an addendum to the above...... I used to work in the Auto Industry, where we referred to ABS as A*****les Braking System. A downside (of the technology) is that some see it as an excuse to drive too fast for the conditions, indeed one of my colleagues (who should have known better) said one day "I hit the back of the other car because the ABS didn't work"

Top Bottom