Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
It's not rocket science, all you usually do is press the TPMS button & hold it down till the pressure is registered,it's takes seconds

Yes, if its your car and you know what to do.
But as I had just done the tyre pressures correctly, I solely wanted to drive away not start looking in the manual. Its meant to be a aid, but it was not to us that day.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The second law of thermodynamics states that energy is converted into more and more useless forms.

To digress very slightly,
I like the following version of the laws of thermodynamics

1. You can't win
2. You can't break even
3. You can't get out of the game

(not sure what would be their version of the zero'th law)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As an addendum to the above...... I used to work in the Auto Industry, where we referred to ABS as A*****les Braking System. A downside (of the technology) is that some see it as an excuse to drive too fast for the conditions, indeed one of my colleagues (who should have known better) said one day "I hit the back of the other car because the ABS didn't work"

That's the question. Are better brakes a safety aid, or an aid to going faster?

A pal of mine was a development engineer for ABS systems. He recounted one complaint from a truck driver after the driver claimed the ABS kicking in had actually increased his stopping distance. The tape measure proved otherwise, but the driver still "felt" the system had extended the distance

winjim

Smash the cistern
That does kind of get the idea over

Actually it's better than that, and I shall add it to the list when I next recount it

Have a gold star and go to the top of the class

As an aside, if anyone's baffled by / interested in the laws of thermodynamics, this is a really good book. Short and snappy, not like his mahoosive dense as a neutron star physical chemistry textbooks. It's a good read for a layperson and a good primer for anyone studying.

20231220_215259.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As an aside, if anyone's baffled by / interested in the laws of thermodynamics, this is a really good book. Short and snappy, not like his mahoosive dense as a neutron star physical chemistry textbooks. It's a good read for a layperson and a good primer for anyone studying.

View attachment 716649

Indeed, I have it on my shelves. I have several of Atkins' pop-sci or semi-technical books and they are all excellent. I think his "physical chemistry" is the standard textbook for many undergrads. I had a copy though swapped to physics so didn't do much with it

winjim

Smash the cistern
Indeed, I have it on my shelves. I have several of Atkins' pop-sci or semi-technical books and they are all excellent. I think his "physical chemistry" is the standard textbook for many undergrads. I had a copy though swapped to physics so didn't do much with it

It's a beast of a book. I think I sold my copy, the OU chemistry course I completed was less heavy on maths than the University of York course I dropped out of. Now I'm a biochemist where my approach to data is if it doesn't fit a straight line, then log transform it until it does.

classic33

Leg End Member
In Leeds this Friday, the last Friday before Christmas, it's known as Mad Friday where everyone goes out and gets wasted.

When did this start? Is it a thing in other places?🤔
It was there 22 years ago, nowt new.

There's also a challenge, down the valley, over here of getting round a series of named pubs using only the trains as transport. And then being able to return to Leeds on the last train.

Frantic Friday, the last one before Christmas, can be a nightmare if you work in town centre shops. Everyone trying to get the presents/shopping they should already have. Christmas Eve as you're closing up and have the drunks coming in asking for stuff that sold out days before, can be annoying.

There's also a challenge, down the valley, over here of getting round a series of named pubs using only the trains as transport. And then being able to return to Leeds on the last train.

Frantic Friday, the last one before Christmas, can be a nightmare if you work in town centre shops. Everyone trying to get the presents/shopping they should already have. Christmas Eve as you're closing up and have the drunks coming in asking for stuff that sold out days before, can be annoying.

Is that a reverse Rail Ale Trail? I've drank at a few of the pubs down the line but never the full thing, yet 🍻

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

We have one here in Glasgow called 'The Sub Crawl'.

Basically, you visit the nearest pub to all 16 of the Stations on the Glasgow Subway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is that a reverse Rail Ale Trail? I've drank at a few of the pubs down the line but never the full thing, yet 🍻
One is described as a real ale rail trail(craft beers), starting at Square Chapel in Halifax, then working your way down the valley to Todmorden. Then back to the start, hopefully on the last train.

Top Bottom