Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
When I was a teenager (long time ago) we used to go to Scotland for "block release training"

The challenge then used to be a drink in every bar on Rose Street in Edinburgh. (I believe there are not as many bars nowadays)

One is described as a real ale rail trail(craft beers), starting at Square Chapel in Halifax, then working your way down the valley to Todmorden. Then back to the start, hopefully on the last train.

Thats the one I'm thinking of, in my town I often see groups taking the arduous 50 yard walk to the pub from the station :laugh:

Thats the one I'm thinking of, in my town I often see groups taking the arduous 50 yard walk to the pub from the station :laugh:

Speaking of beer, I've just been flicking through " Giant Dongle " the local CAMRA magazine for the West Dorset region. Theu mentioned the Brewmeister brewery based in Keith near Elgin. They do a couple of brews which are then frozen to extract the alcohol then aged for three months before bottling. The sting in the tail is that it's the alcohol that is aged before being bottled. " Armageddon " is 65% ABV and " Snakebite " is a tad stronger at 67.5% 😮

Alex321

Veteran
In Swansea when I was a student, we had the "Mumbles Mile". Actually a bit more than a mile, but at the time was something in the region of 20 pubs.

Apparently it is still a thing, but there are only 9 pubs left now on the same route.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why do they go and see them?
Why are they called "tribute" bands? They should be called "rip off" bands. They are just exploiting other people's talent to make money.

Unfortunately many of the original bands are no longer touring. A lot of their members are now dead!

Why do they go and see them?
Why are they called "tribute" bands? They should be called "rip off" bands. They are just exploiting other people's talent to make money.

The tribute bands are sometime pretty close to the original

In fact they are often closer to the original than the original group perform becuase they have "evolved" it over the years or have got fed up of playing the same old songs
Tributes normally just play the old favourites - whereas the original bands often mix in a few old favourites with a lot of newer stuff - which older fans may not be that interested in

Also - they are not a rip off if it is clear it is a tribute band - and they do may royalties to the original!
In fact the "Australian Pink Floyd" as so good that they played at the wedding (I think ) of one of the original band members!

Dave7

Legendary Member
IMO there is a place for tribute bands.
In/on Majorca we went to a bar and watched an excellent Freddy Mercury tribute.......free and a good 2 hours.
We saw him twice and when me and my mate went cycling there I took him.......he also thought it was good.
TBH it was one of my holiday highlights.

Top Bottom