Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Fun. It's fun.

" till her daddy takes her T Bird away..." Nice Beach Boys tribute band reference 😉

Chris S

Legendary Member
I beg to differ. Listen to CDs, watch concert videos of old bands. Go and see new bands playing original music live.

You can't capture the atmosphere of a live gig by watching a video. I saw a Small Faces tribute last night, they were absolutely amazing. I'd have still been a toddler when the original broke up.

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
You can't capture the atmosphere of a live gig by watching a video. I saw a Small Faces tribute last night, they were absolutely amazing. I'd have still been a toddler when the original broke up.

I agree, I love live gigs, but I 'd much rather see new bands than covers of 50 or 60 year old stuff

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Why are they called "tribute" bands? They should be called "rip off" bands. They are just exploiting other people's talent to make money.
The logical extension of that argument is that no artist should ever be able to perform any song that was originally recorded or played by someone else.

richardfm

Veteran
The logical extension of that argument is that no artist should ever be able to perform any song that was originally recorded or played by someone else.

No it isn't. I am talking about bands imitating other bands, basing their whole act on another bands, songs, looks and style. Playing your own version of someone else's song isn't imitating them.

No it isn't. I am talking about bands imitating other bands, basing their whole act on another bands, songs, looks and style. Playing your own version of someone else's song isn't imitating them.

The bands themselves don;t complain - some seem to endorse specific tribute bands!
probably because they get money from it with no actual effort!

Some of the best do not look very like the real band - just play the same things in the same way

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Whilst I've never understood the wanting to be famous for being someone else my daughter gets the chance to see what some of the old rock bands sounded like live.

richardfm

Veteran
The bands themselves don;t complain - some seem to endorse specific tribute bands!
probably because they get money from it with no actual effort!

Some of the best do not look very like the real band - just play the same things in the same way

No, the bands don't complain, neither do the venues they play at. They often get bigger audiences that the bands I go to see. This cross subsidises the smaller bands.
It's just me that doesn't like them.

Chislenko

Veteran
To be fair one of the best selling artists of the 80's / 90's was nothing more than a tribute act.

Paul Young appeared initially with a "rip off" band, The Q Tips, who essentially did cover versions, then when he went solo he basically did cover versions (Love of the common people, Wherever I lay my hat, Tear your playhouse down etc)

He made a good living from it!

DRM

Guru
I agree, I love live gigs, but I 'd much rather see new bands than covers of 50 or 60 year old stuff

I'd put money on it that all those new bands that you go to see, were covers bands before, learning their stage craft & honing their playing by doing covers of all the songs that inspired them to start learning their respective instruments, then as they develop they start writing their own material, it's how every band starts, even Chuck Berry Covered Marti McFly's Johnny B Goode! & Eddie Van Halen stole his tapping technique, (only joking ) but even the Beatles started life doing covers.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'd put money on it that all those new bands that you go to see, were covers bands before, learning their stage craft & honing their playing by doing covers of all the songs that inspired them to start learning their respective instruments, then as they develop they start writing their own material, it's how every band starts, even Chuck Berry Covered Marti McFly's Johnny B Goode! & Eddie Van Halen stole his tapping technique, (only joking ) but even the Beatles started life doing covers.

Beatles and Stones basically did covers of black American artists.

Top Bottom