Questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Basically.i hope to start riding my bike to college in September obviously I would practice before because I've never cycled on road before and it's illegal to cycle on pavement in UK.

1. First the lever on my seat post clamp lever has like come off and the seat won't move up which I need to do to adjust saddle height. I can't tell if this is because off the seat post being stuck or if it's because the quick release lever has come off but the actual clamp is still on but the seat only lets you adjust the angle and not make it go up. Is there a way to fix this without taking it to a bike repair shop.
2. I know cycling on the road you have to follow rules of the road but the Highway Code doesn't say anything about speeding so can you get done for speeding even though your bicycle doesn't tell you how fast your going?
3. I know lights are required at dusk dawn and night but are they required in bad weather like how cars use dipped headlights?
4. If your in a bus lane is better to stop when a bus is a bus stop rather than overtaking. it would prevent and accident right if you just let the bus go first?
5. How to prevent your bikes stolen because bike thefts are common a lot here and I don't want the same thing that happend to my brother (He got his bike stolen twice and never got it back even though it was locked up.
6. How do you guys deal with road rage if this happens?
9. Any other tips?

(If I was to cycle to college there's a road and then there is a park I cut across and then another road

Basically.i hope to start riding my bike to college in September obviously I would practice before because I've never cycled on road before and it's illegal to cycle on pavement in UK.

1. First the lever on my seat post clamp lever has like come off and the seat won't move up which I need to do to adjust saddle height. I can't tell if this is because off the seat post being stuck or if it's because the quick release lever has come off but the actual clamp is still on but the seat only lets you adjust the angle and not make it go up. Is there a way to fix this without taking it to a bike repair shop.
2. I know cycling on the road you have to follow rules of the road but the Highway Code doesn't say anything about speeding so can you get done for speeding even though your bicycle doesn't tell you how fast your going?
3. I know lights are required at dusk dawn and night but are they required in bad weather like how cars use dipped headlights?
4. If your in a bus lane is better to stop when a bus is a bus stop rather than overtaking. it would prevent and accident right if you just let the bus go first?
5. How to prevent your bikes stolen because bike thefts are common a lot here and I don't want the same thing that happend to my brother (He got his bike stolen twice and never got it back even though it was locked up.
6. How do you guys deal with road rage if this happens?
9. Any other tips?

(If I was to cycle to college there's a road and then there is a park I cut across and then another road
Buy Cyclecraft. It is an excellent book.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and :welcome: @Randombiker9.
Yes, buy the book as suggested above, and look out for cycle training events from your local bike hubs. Often they are free.
You Tube and Google are your friends for bike mechanics info, but sometimes a LBS (local bike shop) is good to be friends with.
Bring them cake, then ask about adjusting your seat post ^_^

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Buy Cyclecraft. It is an excellent book.
Never heard of that book.

Can you post a picture of your seat post clamp.
How do post a picture on here?

Hi and :welcome: @Randombiker9.
Yes, buy the book as suggested above, and look out for cycle training events from your local bike hubs. Often they are free.
You Tube and Google are your friends for bike mechanics info, but sometimes a LBS (local bike shop) is good to be friends with.
Bring them cake, then ask about adjusting your seat post ^_^
ok
Why bring them a cake? :tongue: (that seems random)

Sharky

Guru
Pavements, lights, bus lanes etc - just use common sense - If you feel it is safer to ride on the pavements, as long as you don't threaten/endanger pedestrians, then do so. Likewise with lights - if this will give extra visibility, then use them. And buses - if unsure just wait. The slipstream advantage when it starts again is worth waiting for!

Enjoy your college years

Couple of contributions - oooh, and a welcome to the world of commuting :welcome:.

The cheap ones

- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/ :smile:

- Explore possible routes now, before you have to do it to a deadline. I work as a supply teacher around Leeds and W Yorkshire. I've got to know all sorts of quieter and more pleasant options - using ginnels, short-cuts across parks, slightly longer "parallel" routes that avoid nasty hills, or just quieter back roads running more or less parallel to much busier routes.

And a possibly rather more expensive one? It's a "pain in the neck" commuting on a bike that's not reliable, or one that you're not sure of. I'm guessing your bike is second-hand? Worth getting it serviced/checked over in a bike shop, or by a friend who knows (genuinely :eek:) bikes? Better still, developing your own maintenance/repair skills? [Which includes developing a feel for bits that you should NOT attempt ^_^. DAMHIKT]

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1. Need pic.
2. No. You can be fined for wanton or furious cycling, but not specific numbers because they don't currently apply to cycling in the UK (or horses).
3. Lights are not required in low visibility, but might be a good idea if the light is poor, to see where you're going as much as anything.
4. Whether to pass a bus at a stop depends on the road layout, whether it's indicating to pull out and so on. Decide case by case IMO.
5. Proper lock it to reduce theft risk. Two locks, different types, both strong not string. One through each wheel, the frame and the parking stand.
6. Defuse road rage by smile and wave, smile and wave.
9. Probably.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Pavements, lights, bus lanes etc - just use common sense - If you feel it is safer to ride on the pavements, as long as you don't threaten/endanger pedestrians, then do so. Likewise with lights - if this will give extra visibility, then use them. And buses - if unsure just wait. The slipstream advantage when it starts again is worth waiting for!

Enjoy your college years

Thanks thought it's illegal to ride on pavement in England.
Couple of contributions - oooh, and a welcome to the world of commuting :welcome:.

The cheap ones

- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/ :smile:

- Explore possible routes now, before you have to do it to a deadline. I work as a supply teacher around Leeds and W Yorkshire. I've got to know all sorts of quieter and more pleasant options - using ginnels, short-cuts across parks, slightly longer "parallel" routes that avoid nasty hills, or just quieter back roads running more or less parallel to much busier routes.

And a possibly rather more expensive one? It's a "pain in the neck" commuting on a bike that's not reliable, or one that you're not sure of. I'm guessing your bike is second-hand? Worth getting it serviced/checked over in a bike shop, or by a friend who knows (genuinely :eek:) bikes? Better still, developing your own maintenance/repair skills? [Which includes developing a feel for bits that you should NOT attempt ^_^. DAMHIKT]

My bikes not second hand. (however my brother has fiddled with both mine and my mum's bike) We usually get my older brother to fix most bike stuff but he's not around anymore as he's staying in a house by his University. If I need to I'll get it checked out as the local bike shop is not very long away at all.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

1. Need pic.
2. No. You can be fined for wanton or furious cycling, but not specific numbers because they don't currently apply to cycling in the UK (or horses).
3. Lights are not required in low visibility, but might be a good idea if the light is poor, to see where you're going as much as anything.
4. Whether to pass a bus at a stop depends on the road layout, whether it's indicating to pull out and so on. Decide case by case IMO.
5. Proper lock it to reduce theft risk. Two locks, different types, both strong not string. One through each wheel, the frame and the parking stand.
6. Defuse road rage by smile and wave, smile and wave.
9. Probably.
OK thanks. How you post pics on here for number 1?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
If you can find bikeability scheme near your college check if you can do level 3. If you can get road practice before going it would be good. I want to get copy of Cyclecraft but it sounds worth investing in.

Ganymede

Veteran
With the road rage thing - it's sexist, but you will find you are less subject to it as a woman. I have had very little myself (although I cycle on country lanes which have less traffic than eg town commuting, so there is less chance anyway), and although I'm not sure it's completely scientifically proven, if you are sporting a few female signifiers, ie have a ponytail, wear a bit of pink etc, the beastlier element on the road will treat you slightly better. The aggression is more against the male lycra-clad cyclist (which is awful), although of course there are exceptions. Be bold and courteous!

Seconding the excellent information in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

Congratulations and good luck!

Drago

Legendary Member
Road rage is easy. Ignore them completely and carry on riding. Unfortunately it requires a degree of ego discipline that many seem not to possess.

Top Bottom