Questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Think it's also an ageist thing. I seem to be getting more and more drivers waiting patiently on narrow roads for me, while I strive to get to the top of some of Kentish mountains.
True!! I get it striving to get to the top of a small Kentish railway bridge!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately if someone is determined to have your bike they will. The advent of portable battery powered angle grinders has seen to that. As mjr says two locks and try to leave it in a busy place.

Basically.i hope to start riding my bike to college in September obviously I would practice before because I've never cycled on road before and it's illegal to cycle on pavement in UK.

1. First the lever on my seat post clamp lever has like come off and the seat won't move up which I need to do to adjust saddle height. I can't tell if this is because off the seat post being stuck or if it's because the quick release lever has come off but the actual clamp is still on but the seat only lets you adjust the angle and not make it go up. Is there a way to fix this without taking it to a bike repair shop.
2. I know cycling on the road you have to follow rules of the road but the Highway Code doesn't say anything about speeding so can you get done for speeding even though your bicycle doesn't tell you how fast your going?
3. I know lights are required at dusk dawn and night but are they required in bad weather like how cars use dipped headlights?
4. If your in a bus lane is better to stop when a bus is a bus stop rather than overtaking. it would prevent and accident right if you just let the bus go first?
5. How to prevent your bikes stolen because bike thefts are common a lot here and I don't want the same thing that happend to my brother (He got his bike stolen twice and never got it back even though it was locked up.
6. How do you guys deal with road rage if this happens?
9. Any other tips?

(If I was to cycle to college there's a road and then there is a park I cut across and then another road
1. Need pic
2. No. Apart from a few exceptions like in the Royal Parks (Richmond Park in London) which have their own bylaws and the police do regularly hand out fines to cyclists breaking the 20mph limit.
3. Think the highway code is the same for cars, an hour before dusk/after dawn. But if you look out the window and you can't see anything because of fog then it might be a good idea to put some lights on your bike ;)
4. Depends, no point waiting if you can see there are 20 people waiting to get on the bus. Just change lanes an overtake, make sure to do a shoulder check, indicate if necessary, and try to slot into a gap in traffic. Don't squeeze down the left of the bus if it is indicating left before a bus stop though...that is just silly (and you will be surprised how many cyclists do it).
5. Use more than one lock and make sure they are good quality. Preferably different types (i.e. one D-lock and one cable lock, thieves usually only have the tools to break one or the other type). Make sure to lock it through the triangle of the frame and back wheel if possible and that you are locking it to something immovable. Put the cable lock through your front wheel if it has quick releases.
6. Ignore it and don't rise up to it.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks everyone
1. Need pic
2. No. Apart from a few exceptions like in the Royal Parks (Richmond Park in London) which have their own bylaws and the police do regularly hand out fines to cyclists breaking the 20mph limit.
3. Think the highway code is the same for cars, an hour before dusk/after dawn. But if you look out the window and you can't see anything because of fog then it might be a good idea to put some lights on your bike ;)
4. Depends, no point waiting if you can see there are 20 people waiting to get on the bus. Just change lanes an overtake, make sure to do a shoulder check, indicate if necessary, and try to slot into a gap in traffic. Don't squeeze down the left of the bus if it is indicating left before a bus stop though...that is just silly (and you will be surprised how many cyclists do it).
5. Use more than one lock and make sure they are good quality. Preferably different types (i.e. one D-lock and one cable lock, thieves usually only have the tools to break one or the other type). Make sure to lock it through the triangle of the frame and back wheel if possible and that you are locking it to something immovable. Put the cable lock through your front wheel if it has quick releases.
6. Ignore it and don't rise up to it.

2. I did not know that but I don't live in London.
4. With 4 what I bolded is that what's sometimes called a left hook?

People
With number 1 my brother did come round had a look at my bike and he said it's not to do with the quick release seat clamp but the seat post is stuck (I can't post picture don't know how to on here?). (He doesn't know how to sort it). What does it mean when seat post is stuck and is there a way of fixing this?. (It still moves like side to side just won't let me adjust the height).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How old is your bike? What is the frame material, steel or aluminium? If it's been left outside a lot the post may have got rusted into the frame, or it may just be slightly jammed. Stuck seat posts can be very problematic. If it's moving from side to side check it's the post, not just the saddle clamp on the post that's moving. If the post is moving slightly that's a good sign. Try some penetrating oil like WD 40, it'll probably need several applications over time. If this doesn't work it will need a trip to the bike shop for some powerful application of force and special tools.

Thanks everyone

2. I did not know that but I don't live in London.
4. With 4 what I bolded is that what's sometimes called a left hook?

People
With number 1 my brother did come round had a look at my bike and he said it's not to do with the quick release seat clamp but the seat post is stuck (I can't post picture don't know how to on here?). (He doesn't know how to sort it). What does it mean when seat post is stuck and is there a way of fixing this?. (It still moves like side to side just won't let me adjust the height).
No, that one is just called getting squished by a bus at a bus stop...

This is a left hook (pointlessly and dangerously cutting across a cyclist's path to turn left, saving about 2 seconds of the driver's life instead of just holding back behind the cyclist)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xKCSvNk3I

xzenonuk

Veteran
a lot of pavements are designated as shared use as well just look out for a blue round sign with a bike on it, i would use lights during the day if theres poor visibility eg fog or heavy rain just so cars can see me better.

when i started cycling on the roads i would wait behind every bus and get choked on the fumes but with more confidence and experience i tend to over take them now unless their about to pull out, it just depends on the situation and road layout, always do what is safest for you if your unsure just wait and never under take a large vehicle eg going up the left side of it unless the road is grid locked then you can slowly do that on a straight road but always be extremly careful at junctions.

have a read of the highway code theres tons of info about cyclists in there :smile:

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks update:
My older brother came round to fix our bikes Friday He managed to get the seat right height. So it's been working. I've been riding it in the big park on sat and sunday and checked the tires, brakes and chain were working which they were so everything worked fine. I'll try the roads next time I ride.
(Also been reading Highway Code)

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Great! this is a good steady approach, and hooray for your bro. Happy cycling!
Thanks guys

ps another question. Just walking around in my town that I notice buses always seem to honk at any cyclists even though they were doing right thing?. How do you react to veichels honking if your cycling? Is it just best to ignore it?
(Just thinking for when I do decide to bike on road)

Top Bottom