Questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

also the one thing I get off and walk my bike on pavements are mini roundabouts because how are you spossed to go through mini roundabouts and roundabouts?

MiK1138

Veteran
You can put your lock through the straps of your helmet where your ears would be that way a thief would need to cut the straps rendering the helmet useless, but if it is not a hassle to take it with you, take it with you. mini roundabouts are just like every other part of the road, you watch for traffic from the right and proceed when there is a space the traffic entering to your left will do the same. you just need to build a bit of confidence

Slick

Guru
also the one thing I get off and walk my bike on pavements are mini roundabouts because how are you spossed to go through mini roundabouts and roundabouts?
I had a few problems myself with a couple of roundabouts, the advice I got at the time was to act like a car, take the lane and be clear of your intentions. It seems to gave worked as I rarely get too much hassle now.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I had a few problems myself with a couple of roundabouts, the advice I got at the time was to act like a car, take the lane and be clear of your intentions. It seems to gave worked as I rarely get too much hassle now.
So basically like this one (I was just bored and draw the mini roundabout to me)
So on this example:
Going to:
Signal left to show your entering roundabout? and then Signal right to exit?
On way back:
Do I only need to signal left when exiting?

Example (Not best drawing)
gez1YjF.png

Arrows= Ways you can go
M= Me
H= Heading to or home

ps long arrows got mixed up it's spossed to be other way round. with the very long arrows. A you drive on left not right.

Slick

Guru
I thought you were maybe abroad or something.:laugh:

Yeah, I always signal when exiting a roundabout especially when there's traffic trying to enter just before. I also try and make eye contact but that's no use in winter, as I've had the odd car still look through me and come on to the roundabout despite my already being there. It can be awkward trying to bank the bike down and signalling but I think you need to get used to it.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I thought you were maybe abroad or something.:laugh:

Yeah, I always signal when exiting a roundabout especially when there's traffic trying to enter just before. I also try and make eye contact but that's no use in winter, as I've had the odd car still look through me and come on to the roundabout despite my already being there. It can be awkward trying to bank the bike down and signalling but I think you need to get used to it.
Ok what made you think I was abroad. I've just started college today.
I'm going start cycling to college next week as I need to clean my bike and (I might as well clean my mums to)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Keep clear of the dooring zone. In other wirds do not cycle so close to parked cars that if someone opened a door you would ride into it.

Don't cycle in the gutter, and take the lane as you approach junctions and roundabouts,

Keep good situational awareness, so be aware if whats ahead and behind you, whats coming up, and plan manuevers in advance. So you want your changes in direction to be smooth and well indicated, with your speed and positioning adjusted apprpriately as necessary.

Slick

Guru
Ok what made you think I was abroad. I've just started college today.
I'm going start cycling to college next week as I need to clean my bike and (I might as well clean my mums to)
It was just the direction of the long green arrows.

alicat

Legendary Member
Google 'Bikeability Berkshire'. Training is definitely available for adults in West Berkshire. It will help you gain confidence on the road.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

It was just the direction of the long green arrows.
I did some of the arrow as the wrong way. That's why I said long arrows got mixed up should be other way round.
Google 'Bikeability Berkshire'. Training is definitely available for adults in West Berkshire. It will help you gain confidence on the road.
I live close to the Reading area in Berkshire not West Berkshire. So my councils not West Berkshire.

Tim Hall

I can't type in Bikeability west Berkshire as that's too far away.
and like when I type in Bikeabillity (councils name) it says it's only for year 5 6 or 7 and I'm 18 not in any of those years.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/cycling
Try emailing the contact on the Reading cycling page at avanti cycling and ask if they provide adult cycle courses, or if they don't, do they know who does. According to their blurb here, they have the Bikeability contract for Reading, so should have some answers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also just asking are there any good iPhone apps that show local cycle paths and routes? (because my mum & dad is hopping for our family (Me, mum, brother and possibly dad ) to go cycling together one day.
I suspect there's several - search the app store for one which can show "opencyclemap". There may be one for cyclestreets route planner too.

(Should I off said anything back in those situations? or is always just best to ignore it.
Ignore it. http://highwaycode.info/rule/148 tells you not to argue with other road users. (Actually, reading the Highway Code might be a good idea, especially the bits about cycling... but only treat the ones that say MUST as things you must do - there are one or two dodgy bits in the current code.)

Also why do people leave their bike helmets with their bike when they lock them up. Because this is just silly as someone could steal their helmet and not their bike. I always prefer to take my helmet inside with me.
It's worse than that - helmets locked with bikes are very likely to be hit or crushed by other bikes being parked or leaving, possibly hard enough to render them useless. When I used a helmet, I put it in my bag or carried it - but I don't any more think they're worthwhile.

Similar to cars http://highwaycode.info/rule/185 and the following - but you may prefer to walk until you get the hang of busy junctions with fast-moving motorists. It's often worth picking a route avoiding big roundabouts IMO, even if only because motorists clog them up.

Top Bottom