Questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Ignore them, ride assertively but defensively

Get a copy of Cyclecraft to read
Thanks

ps my tires seem to puncture easily Like my brother just changed the inner tube and tire and pumped it up on Friday but yet the 2nd day I rode my bike (In park) the inner tube got punctured again. Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way of preventing it? (My bikes hybrid)

vickster

Legendary Member
Check that there's nothing lodged in the tyre, like a flint, glass, thorn , nor that there are spokes poking through the rim tape in the wheel

Did you see where there puncture was?

Better tyres might help, assuming you have them pumped up right

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Check that there's nothing lodged in the tyre, like a flint, glass, thorn , nor that there are spokes poking through the rim tape in the wheel

Did you see where there puncture was?

Better tyres might help, assuming you have them pumped up right
My mum fixed it

ps the one thing I don't get on bikes is you have to turn your head qucikly to look behind you (Even in parks I have to look behind for other cyclists, dogs, horses) but couldn't this cause an accident because your not looking ahead.? (Especially for those that ride on the road)

vickster

Legendary Member
You only do it briefly. Do you not drive? How old are you? Might be Witt getting some instruction on roadcraft

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Get a foot pump like this one (not a specific recommend, just googled it for an example): https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-floor-pump-id_8303706.html

Changed my life! (*slight exaggeration warning*). Might not save against punctures but @vickster's post made me think of this advice. It's a good Christmas/birthday prezzie to ask for too.
Good point mabye that's why. Our actual pump doesn't have a pressure gage so maybe thats why I got punctures easily.
You only do it briefly. Do you not drive? How old are you? Might be Witt getting some instruction on roadcraft
18 no I don't drive don't see the point. (and when I ride I do it in the park near me. I haven't been riding on the road yet because not used to that yet just been praticing in park. (We did get taught a bit of road safety back at a camp when I was 15 but that was 3 years ago)
How do you get inscrutions on road craft?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah ok, I wasn't sure due to your use of the word tire

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Ah ok, I wasn't sure due to your use of the word tire
I get confused as my brother was brought up with tire (as he was born in New York so I always saw him spell it that way. So I just assumed it was that way. guess I was wrong though. :tongue:

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Also just asking are there any good iPhone apps that show local cycle paths and routes? (because my mum & dad is hopping for our family (Me, mum, brother and possibly dad ) to go cycling together one day.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Any I cycled on the road to town the other day. Luckily there were no buses around at the time I went out. Most of the cars gave the right amount of space with overtaking. (One didn't but I just looked back knew he was going to overtake to closely and I just went to side (Even though there were parked cars) to let him go past. (But that was only on the way too)
On the way back: There was that the people coming towards you are spossed to give way and those kids (not wearing helmets didn't I had to suddenly brake to not crash into them and they said something like be careful or you'll cause a accident and put middle finger up. (I ignored them as i was pretty sure they were my old secondary school bullies).
(Should I off said anything back in those situations? or is always just best to ignore it.

Ganymede

Veteran
Always best not to say anything unless a warning shout is needed. Well done on your first road ride!

You had your eyes and ears about you by the sound of it - you had the spidey-senses on when you realised that bloke wasn't going to give you enough room, and it's best to get out of the way in those circumstances, even if it's not fair.

Thumbs up, keep it up!

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Always best not to say anything unless a warning shout is needed. Well done on your first road ride!

You had your eyes and ears about you by the sound of it - you had the spidey-senses on when you realised that bloke wasn't going to give you enough room, and it's best to get out of the way in those circumstances, even if it's not fair.

Thumbs up, keep it up!
Thanks and yeah hearing is just as important as looking when cycling. Also I just lock my bike In a busy place and that's covered with CCTV e.g outside train station (if the racks are not full)

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Went out for a cycle today. it was all fine apart from this stupid car who was fine with other veichles passing but for some reason he went into the wrong lane when I came out. (So towards oncoming traffic) without using his indicator and well when this happend I had no option but to cycle in the gutter (as otherwise I would of got hit till he was gone) and another time where someone just decided to park in the middle of the road luckily the driver switched his/her hazard lights on in time and I had to stop anyway to give way to the bus. Drivers are just sometimes stupid . But if you think what there going to do you can plan ahead.
Also why do people leave their bike helmets with their bike when they lock them up. Because this is just silly as someone could steal their helmet and not their bike. I always prefer to take my helmet inside with me.

Top Bottom